Expand my Community achievements bar.

Tutorial Discussion: Implement Adobe Experience Cloud with Web SDK tutorial

Employee Advisor

Use this thread to ask any questions related to the Implement Adobe Experience Cloud with Web SDK tutorial tutorial on Experience League. Experts are monitoring this thread to ensure your questions are answered.

18 Replies

Community Advisor

Hey @dwright 

Hope you are doing well!

Couple of questions around AEP Web SDK:

1. Is Event Forwarding still in Beta or published as a stable release?
  2. Does Event Forwarding already support 3rd party integrations with Bing Ads, Google Ads and FB?
  3. Does Event Forwarding support A4T reporting and Cross-domain ECID tracking?
  4. We are currently doing data collection in Adobe Analytics through Launch, via client side implementation with Adobe Client Data Layer (ACDL), does Data Prep has a significance we migrate to Web SDK through launch with same data layer?

Thank you in advance.

Best,

Kishore

Employee Advisor

1. Yes, Event Forwarding went live a year ago i think. (Original name was Launch Server Side)

2.  Event Forwarding supports 3rd party intergrations via the Adobe Cloud Connector extension. Additionally, 3rd parties can build their own extensions for event forwarding to streamline the workflow. Facebook, for example, has built an extension and you can easily add it from the extension catalog.

3. A4T is irrelevant to event forwarding because event forwarding is not used to send data to Analytics or Target. Event forwarding is for sending data collected by the edge to third parties.

4. This is kind of a complex question. The new data prep feature will be added to this tutorial at some point, but basically it can be used to map data sent in the "data" object to XDM on the edge. You can also map to XDM client-side in the tag/Launch property or used a combined approach. You will probably need to play around and see what works best for you and your implementation.

Community Advisor

Thank you @dwright 

Really insightful information!

Level 4

Below are the questions from our dev team which require clarification

• How does this support event forwarding through edge network for cookieless tracking, is it the current conversion metrics we determine in analytics?
  • What  deliverables from the dev team are required if we migrate to web SDK ? for example changes in the source code by implementing a new header script etc
  • Ad platforms that need support are: DV360, FB, and Google Ads- do they have APIs for server-side conversion tracking already?
  • What about Google Server-side tagging?

Employee Advisor

Hi,

I just got back from vacation and saw your questions:

• "How does this support event forwarding through edge network for cookieless tracking, is it the current conversion metrics we determine in analytics?"
    Did you go through the entire tutorial? The last lesson shows you how to build upon your Web SDK implementation using event forwarding. Event forwarding allows you to forward the data collected by Web SDK (or Mobile SDK or Server APIs) to whichever destinations/end points you need to send it to.
  • "What deliverables from the dev team are required if we migrate to web SDK ? for example changes in the source code by implementing a new header script etc"
    It sort of depends on how you are currently implemented. If you are currently implemented via tags/Launch, it could be a very minor update to point to a new tags/Launch script URL. If you use Target, you probably need to update the prehiding script also.
  • "Ad platforms that need support are: DV360, FB, and Google Ads- do they have APIs for server-side conversion tracking already?"
    You will have to do your own due diligence here, to confirm that they have exactly what you need. I believe they all have conversion API. There are event forwarding extensions available in the Data Collection interface for Facebook COnversions API and Google Ads Enhanced Conversion.
  • "What about Google Server-side tagging?"
    I see a "Cloud Connector for Google Analytics" extension available in the Data Collection ui. Generically, the "Adobe Cloud Connector" can be used to forward data to any 3rd party.
  • What about Google Server-side tagging?

Level 1

Hi thanks for the tutorial!. We have a customer who is tied to Tealium Tag Manager, can Web SDK still be deployed without Launch? How can Data Streams, Schemas and Identities be deployed without it?. Thanks.

Employee Advisor

Hi,

Sorry for the slow response!

Datastreams, schemas, and identities can all be created in the Data Collection interface. Tags (formerly Launch) is another feature in the Data Collection interface, but is not a requirement for Web SDK. So, your customer (or you on their behalf) can log into Data Collection to configure the datastreams, schemas, and identities and then deploy the Web SDK with Tealium. If you don't have access to Data Collection, or see "Identities", "Schemas", and "Datastreams" in the left rail review the instructions to configure permissions in the tutorial. If you are still having trouble getting access, contact customer care. Good luck!

Level 1

Hi @dwright 

Hope you are doing well!

I have few queries as follow regarding AEM migration to Cloud Services.

• Do we need a new implementation of Launch to serve cloud our can our existing instance serve both the current on premises AEM and the new Cloud instance AEM?

• any work necessary at the Launch level (or can aspects and rules be reused)?

• time and direction to dev team as they rebuild components and templates on Cloud (net new)?

• script placement/migration/duplication?

• any audit/refactoring you would suggest doing as the cloud will be a blank slate and we won't have to carry technical debt?

Request you to help me with the above queries.

Thanks in Advance.

Employee Advisor

Hi,
AEM is outside the scope of the tutorial. My AEM colleagues have created some AEM-specific tags/Launch content located here: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-learn/sites/integrations/experience-platf...

I'm not too experienced in the AEM migrations from on-premise to Cloud, but in general, with any website, if the underlying domain name, URLs, and html/css/javascript are the same the Launch property would continue to work, regardless of the backend generating the website. However, if things do change in the front end code of the site, you probably will need to update rules and such. If you self-host the libraries in AEM, you will also need to configure that in the AEM Cloud Service. You should definitely test everything thoroughly and you can always copy your existing Launch property and safely update the copy for the new site.

Again, this thread is dedicated to a tutorial which doesn't involve AEM at all and I have no experience migrating from on-prem to AEM as a cloud Service. My experience is limited to configuring the Launch Cloud Service in AEM on-prem instances.

Level 1

Hi, I have an issue when i tried to valide a profile, my primary is false and i dont understand why...
Then when i try to find my profile by my lumacrmid i dont find anything...

Thx in advance !

_0-1687428145359.png

Level 2

hi guys, quick question - what are the advantages (and disadvantages) of implementing the web sdk manually (using alloy.js) vs via the the Web SDK tag extension  ? We use the Ensighten TMS, so probably will go with the manual installation, but I would want to know advantages and disadvantages of each method beforehand.

Thanks,

Franc

Employee Advisor

Hi @Franc_G ,

Tags is our tag manager, so it just makes it easier to manage the library configurations, XDM fields (the name value pairs you are sending up), and your sendEvent actions. Overall, it just makes it easier to manage your Web SDK implementation. Of course, it doesn't do anything you can't do without your own javascript, it just saves a lot of time.

Level 2

Hey @dwright ,

I just had a question regarding ingestion of the lumacrmid into the dataset. Once we login to the luma page,we get the lumacrmid which is mapped to the identity map but all other values land into the dataset except the identityMap which is empty. Have I made a mistake because I'm able to see identityMap value in the debugger but it's not flowing into the dataset.

Sushmita32_0-1704287501780.pngSushmita32_1-1704287565032.png

Thanks in advance.
Regards
Sushmita.

Employee Advisor

Hi @Sushmita32 ,

When you say "it's not flowing into the dataset" is this because it is not visible when you use Preview Dataset in the interface? If so, I wouldn't be concerned as that is just a limitation of Preview Dataset.

If the dataset is enabled for profile, I suggest looking up the profile using your ecid or crm id as described here: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/platform-learn/implement-web-sdk/applications-setup/setup-ex...

Another validation option is to use query service to look up the record in the dataset.

Level 2

Hi @dwright ,

Thanks for your reply. I was actually looking up using preview dataset. I used the query service and I was able to view the data.
Thanks for your quick help.
Regards
Sushmita.

Level 1

Hello,

Are there any recommendations on how to capture data in objects like device, environment, and place context using data elements? Most of the data I want to capture is not auto-populated.

Thanks

Level 2

Are there any specific things to take into consideration for HIPAA compliance when setting up WebSDK on your website? I understand all the data labels in the schema, and how Event Forwarding helps restrict data flow to other sources, but anything specific to ingesting the Web data initially into Edge?