Expand my Community achievements bar.

Experience League LIVE: Post-session discussion - This is the way...to migrate Analytics to Web SDK

Employee

Use this thread to ask any questions related to the Experience League LIVE session titled, "This is the way...to migrate Analytics to Web SDK."

Experts are monitoring this thread to ensure your questions are answered. Thanks and we hope to hear from you!

44 Replies

Employee

Hey @ankitagarwal05,

I am glad you found the session useful.

Here are the data variables that automatically map to Analytics variables: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/analytics/implementation/aep-edge/data-var-mapping 

I hope that helps.

Thanks.

Level 2

Thank you @joek81541110  for the document link. 

I have 2 more questions:

1. Can we use s.lintrackVars and s.linkTrackEvents to track eVars and props in link clicks.

2. I am getting t.apl is not a function error when I am using appendlist plugin code in custom rule, attached are the screenshots.

Level 2

Also, Can we use s.tl function as well under the custom code for link clicks?

Employee

When you are doing an "Update variable" action from the Web SDK extension (regardless of how you trigger it - so you can trigger by a click if you want to), you can set "additional properties," and set a Link Type and Link Name, and then when you run the "Send event" action, it will send it in as a Track Link, or s.tl(). 

Or did you specifically mean via the custom code?

Level 2

Yes, I mean will s.tl() function still works via custom code?

Employee

Hey @ankitagarwal05 ,

Yes, s.tl() will still work via custom code as long as you don't disable the Analytics extension.

Thanks.

Level 1

I have access to Data Collection and I thought that all the pieces for WebSDK implementations were included but I don't see any options on left side of menu besides Tags.  Should I have access to things like Data Sources, Schema, etc.?  Or is this something that needs to be provisioned or purchased in addition?  

Level 3

Yes, you should. Probably you're missing some permissions in Platform.

Level 1

Thanks, I thought I was an admin on everything but will check to see if maybe I am missing permissions somewhere.  

Level 1

I just hopped on a call with someone who should have admin access to everything and he also doesn't see anything besides just tags when going into data collection.  Any suggestions?  Should we reach out to Adobe support for help?  Could it be a matter of how their Analytics contract is structured with Adobe?

Employee

So, log into experience.adobe.com, and then go to data collection in the application switcher (nine dots in the top right of the UI), and it should take you into data collection, right? What does your Data Collection section on the left rail look like at that point?

Here's mine:

DoMoore_0-1716393687326.png

Employee

So if you and/or the other person go into the Admin Console (again from the app switcher), click into the Products menu at the top, and then select the "Adobe Experience Platform Data Collection" product, are you an admin for that product, or an admin for a product profile within that product?

Level 1

The other person (who was already admin) just gave me admin access so I am now an admin for the Adobe Experience Platform Data Collection product and I still only see Tags as the only option when going into data collection.

Level 3

You need permisons in Adobe Experience Platform (to see Schema and Datastreams), Adobe Experience Platform Data Collection is just for Tags.

If no one in your company has acces to Adobe Experience Platform a ticket should be raise with suport for provisioning.

Level 1

Ok, thank you!  We see Experience Platform listed under products in Admin but can't actually click on it to be able to add users.  We are checking with other users to see if they have this and if not, will raise a ticket with Adobe.

Level 1

Hi @joek81541110,

Thanks for the informative session.
Need to know the basic difference on why and when should we use the 'Data' variable object over XDM object? Like, earlier we used to create schema in AEP, add the Analytics field group in it, so that we can map it in Data-Collection and send to AA report suite.
And now checking the 'Data' object seems like working on Adobe Analytics extension configurations again, so under what use cases, we need to chose data variable over xdm object, any specific scenarios around that?

Thanks

Employee

Great question, @aguseranalytics!

I believe Mitch goes over the details in the first part of the demo, but in general, here's the heuristic when migrating:

IF: Staying on established solutions (like Analytics, Target, or AAM) for a while: use data only.

IF: Staying on established solutions AND adopting AEP apps (Like CJA, AJO, or RTCDP)
OR 

IF: Moving to the AEP apps directly and will stop using the established solutions.

1. Use data only and map into XDM in Data Prep. (You can leverage the new Analytics mapping functions to map your events and products strings)

2. Use XDM  directly on the client side.

I don't know that there's any use case for the Analytics fieldgroup any more. 

I hope that helps.
Joe

Level 2

After installing the Web SDK extension in a tag property in AEP Data Collection I found out that I can't see Datastreams in the left hand menu. Is it correct that an AEP licence is required to use the Web SDK extension instead of the Analytics extension? This would be a bummer.

Employee

Hey @Ronny3 ,

You don't need an AEP license to use the Web SDK. It's a permissions issue.

Please follow the steps in the following doc, and you should be all set: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/experience-platform/collection/permissions#manage

Thanks!