Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Can't get Custom Event to work on rule

Level 2

Hi,

I'm trying to get a rule to load via firing a custom event on the rule. We have the following event set up for it:

thomasm46556898_0-1602184493059.png

However when we run this code:
document.body.dispatchEvent(new CustomEvent('ConsentGiven'));

Nothing happens. 

The odd thing is when we attach the Adobe Experience Cloud Debugger, and have it replace the Launch Embed code with one in dev, then it works. But otherwise, it doesn't.

We're currently loading the code in via JavaScript by injecting an async script tag into the header.

Can anyone let us know what needs to be done to get this custom event to work with the rule?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

I figured out the solution.

What was happening is that we are loading 2 properties on our page: One for scripts that can run before a cookie consent check, and one for scripts that can run when the consent was given.

But the property scripts are set up to not load if:

1) The window.__satelliteLoaded variable is set to true

2) window.satellite is already set

But that's easy to solve if you do the following:

window.__satelliteLoaded = false;
window._satellite = null;

Before loading the next property. This will allow the second property to load as intended.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 2

I figured out the solution.

What was happening is that we are loading 2 properties on our page: One for scripts that can run before a cookie consent check, and one for scripts that can run when the consent was given.

But the property scripts are set up to not load if:

1) The window.__satelliteLoaded variable is set to true

2) window.satellite is already set

But that's easy to solve if you do the following:

window.__satelliteLoaded = false;
window._satellite = null;

Before loading the next property. This will allow the second property to load as intended.

Level 4
@thomasm46556898 thanks for coming back to answer the question for the community. No rush on this but, if you have the time, I'd like to hear a little more about your consent setup. The cookie consent manager that I work with instructs to create suppression conditions for rules based on the consent provided by the user, e.g., block advertising-associated tags when they elect for functional trackers only.

Level 2
@zach_shearer What we decided to go with was a bit of a simpler approach: Instead of adding custom conditions for each rule, we instead created a separate property for all of our rules that don't require any non-essential cookies and moved them there. That way, we load in the pre-consent container first, and the rest after consent is given.