Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Inheritance in metadata schema for assets?

Level 4

I was hoping to be able to add 2 fields in a new tab which applied to PDF's. I was looking at creating a meta data schema with the folder structure application/pdf and I'd add my 2 fields there. But when I apply it - I only get my 2 fields. I lose all other options. 

I really don't want to (needless) copy everything to my new schema. I'd prefer to inherit from the existing defaults and overlay my new tab with its properties.

I even tried creating a tab1 with properties of sling:resourceSupertype = /libs/dam/content/schemaeditors/forms/default/application/pdf/items/tabs/items/tab1 as crazy possibility (spoiler: it just NPE's on ...Tab.merge when you try that)

Here's an example of the crx structure I had in mind and was experimenting with

metadataschema-screenshot.PNG

Does the functionality I'm hoping for exist? 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi @tim_funk ,
As per your requirement, you just need to create a new tab and then add custom fields, In this case you don't need to create a new metadata schema. You can simply edit the default one and add your tab and custom field. Something like below screenshot:

Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 4.26.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-04 at 4.28.42 PM.png

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi @tim_funk ,
As per your requirement, you just need to create a new tab and then add custom fields, In this case you don't need to create a new metadata schema. You can simply edit the default one and add your tab and custom field. Something like below screenshot:

Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 4.26.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-04 at 4.28.42 PM.png

Level 4

Yeah - I restarted fresh with to edit the default "pdf" and in line added a new tab. Which then created the right tree in "/conf/global/settings/dam/adminui-extension/metadataschema/default/application/pdf/" and the overlap wasn't bad compared to what I was trying before. I might have been copying a higher folder such as "application" before which probably started me down the path of confusion

Community Advisor

Hi,

Can you try using granite include?

<items jcr:primaryType="nt:unstructured">
        <tabs jcr:primaryType="nt:unstructured"
            sling:resourceType="granite/ui/components/coral/foundation/tabs"
            size="L">
                <tab1 granite:rel="aem-assets-metadata-form-tab"
                    jcr:primaryType="nt:unstructured"
                    jcr:title="Basic"
                    sling:resourceType="granite/ui/components/coral/foundation/container"
                    listOrder="0">
                    <granite:data jcr:primaryType="nt:unstructured"
                        tabid="dd9d71ff-4524-435d-a16c-0249020660fc" />
                        <col1 jcr:primaryType="nt:unstructured"
                            sling:resourceType="granite/ui/components/coral/foundation/include"
                            path="/libs/dam/content/schemaeditors/forms/default/items/tabs/items/tab1/items/col1" />
                        <col2 jcr:primaryType="nt:unstructured"
                            path="/libs/dam/content/schemaeditors/forms/default/items/tabs/items/tab1/items/col2" />
                        <col3 jcr:primaryType="nt:unstructured"
                            path="/libs/dam/content/schemaeditors/forms/default/items/tabs/items/tab1/items/col3" />
                    </items>
                </tab1>
                </items>
                </tabs>
                </items>

Arun Patidar