External Data Store for already installed AEM 6.1

Level 2

I'm trying to keep the data store in an external location. So, I created

1. org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.blob.datastore.FileDataStore.cfg

path=D:/data-store/AEM/repo-datastore-102

minRecordLength=4096

2. org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.segment.SegmentNodeStoreService.cfg

customBlobStore=B"true"

This works fine with a new AEM instance, I mean keeping these configurations before installing AEM.

But how shall we do this in an already installed AEM instance?

And how does it work, when multiple AEM instance is required to share the same external location?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee
6 Replies

Employee

Hey Bhaskar,

if the AEM instance wasn't configured with an external datasource at the time of setup, you need to use crx2oak tool to segregate the datastore.

once you have an external datastore, you can point all AEM instance to this datastore location but you'll have configure the correct way of Datastore GC for this setup or things could wrong

Correct answer by
Employee

Please review this article AEM 6 - Migrating to a FileDataStore | Content Management

Regards,

Opkar

Level 2

Hi All,

Thanks for your response, this helped a lot.

Now, I'm successfully able to migrate existing AEM instance using CRX2Oak migration tool.

But I still want multiple AEM instances to share a common data store.

I followed below link but didn't work for me. Instead, I got "AuthenticationSupport service missing" in the browser.

How to Share a Single CRX Datastore To Preserve Disk Space

I also did not understand where this "repository.xml" exists.

Could you please guide me on it?

Employee Advisor

This documentation is outdated, as it only applies for CRX 5.x; the basic principles are the same for AEM 6.x, but the docs should be refreshed.

Goto Configuring node stores and data stores in AEM 6  and specifically check for "Configuring a shared datastore".

kind regards,
Jörg

Level 2

Hi All,

Now, I'm able to migrate data store for multiple existing AEM instances to a single location.

Steps:

1. While data migration itself set datastore location to a common data store folder.

2. And then have specific configuration under install folder

a. org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.blob.datastore.FileDataStore.config

b. org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.segment.SegmentNodeStoreService.config

3. And then start AEM.

After this, I have set up Data Store Garbage Collection.

1. Open link http://<<server:port>>/libs/granite/operations/content/maintenance.html

2. Click on the "Weekly Maintenance Window" to get the automated tasks that are currently scheduled to run on the weekly basis.

3. Enable "Data Store Garbage Collection"

Thanks for all your help!