Level 2

Tip /
Sign in

Sign in to Community

to gain points, level up, and earn exciting badges like the new
Bedrock Mission!

Learn more

Sign in to view all badges

[AEM Gems Webinar] Accelerating Experience Manager as a Cloud Service development with Rapid Development Environments

Cookies consent opt out utils not working

Level 4

@arunpatidar you may be able to help as i see you recently posted a link to the opt out service on this forum question.

I want to use the opt out service in an AEM Sightly template to do cookie consent management.

I am following the documentation linked to above, but i seem to be missing something.

In my local AEM instance, my service is configured OK as i can see at http://localhost:4502/system/console/status-Configurations

PID = com.adobe.granite.optout.impl.OptOutServiceImpl
  BundleLocation = Unbound
  optout.cookies = [cq-opt-out, omniture_optout]
  optout.whitelist.cookies = [cq-show-clientcontext, cq-scrollpos, cq-sk-collapsed, login-token, ys-cq-siteadmin-tree, ys-cq-damadmin-tree, ys-cq-collabadmin-tree, ys-cq-miscadmin-tree, ys-cq-tagadmin, ys-cq-cf-clipboard, ys-cq-cf-tabpanel, SessionPersistence, wcmmode, CommercePersistence, cq-authoring-mode, SH_CAMPAIGN]
  service.pid = com.adobe.granite.optout.impl.OptOutServiceImpl

and I am able to include and call browser script methods from Granite.OptOutUtil in a Sightly template in the following way,

<sly data-sly-test="${wcmmode.disabled}">
    <sly data-sly-call="${clientlib.all @ categories='granite.utils'}"/>
</sly>

<script>
  (function logCookies() {
    console.info('whitelisted cookie names? ')
    console.table(Granite.OptOutUtil.getWhitelistCookieNames()) // outputs an empty array
    console.info('optout cookie names? ')
    console.table(Granite.OptOutUtil.getCookieNames()) // outputs an empty array
  })()
</script>

but the method calls return empty arrays 😪

Debugging the client-side code in a browser, the Granite.OptOutUtil object is initialised with a config option, that is undefined when the following line executes.  What am I missing?

Granite.OptOutUtil.init(window.GraniteOptOutConfig);  // window.GraniteOptOutConfig is undefined

8 Replies

Level 4

Thanks for the reply @arunpatidar and for pointing out what the PID should be.  Are you basing your reply on a working example - can you share that (I can't find an example of the opt out service being used by the we retail project)?  Or is your suggestion based on the documentation, where I see it says, 

"...The following table desribes [sic] the properties that you need for either method. For an OSGi configuration, the service PID is com.adobe.granite.optout."
I'm a bit confused about this point about the PID, when I run up AEM 6.4 with no custom code added to it, there is already an osgi configuration entry in place for 

service.pid="com.adobe.granite.optout.impl.OptOutServiceImpl"

If i provide a configuration entry for service.pid="com.adobe.granite.optout" then my local AEM instance ends up with 2 similar entries (presumably my entry plus the out-of-the-box one):

PID = com.adobe.granite.optout
  BundleLocation = Unbound
  optout.whitelist.cookies = [cq-show-clientcontext, cq-scrollpos, cq-sk-collapsed, login-token, ys-cq-siteadmin-tree, ys-cq-damadmin-tree, ys-cq-collabadmin-tree, ys-cq-miscadmin-tree, ys-cq-tagadmin, ys-cq-cf-clipboard, ys-cq-cf-tabpanel, SessionPersistence, wcmmode, CommercePersistence, cq-authoring-mode, SH_CAMPAIGN]
  service.pid = com.adobe.granite.optout

PID = com.adobe.granite.optout.impl.OptOutServiceImpl
  BundleLocation = Unbound
  optout.whitelist.cookies = [cq-show-clientcontext, cq-scrollpos, cq-sk-collapsed, login-token, ys-cq-siteadmin-tree, ys-cq-damadmin-tree, ys-cq-collabadmin-tree, ys-cq-miscadmin-tree, ys-cq-tagadmin, ys-cq-cf-clipboard, ys-cq-cf-tabpanel, SessionPersistence, wcmmode, CommercePersistence, cq-authoring-mode]

Either way, i still get empty arrays in response to client side calls like,

Granite.OptOutUtil.getCookieNames()

and when http://localhost:4502/etc.clientlibs/clientlibs/granite/utils.js is initialised, window.GraniteOptOutConfig is still 'undefined' 😥
How does the config get "read" and set on the client library utils.js? 🙄 

Community Advisor

Hi,

I did not implemented this, I was just refering the documents. BTW ths osgi configuration was correct with 

Can you check this configuration at http://localhost:4504/libs/granite/security/optout/configuration.json

Please check https://rmengji.wordpress.com/2015/02/26/aem-do-not-track-cookie-setting-aem-granite-opt-out-service...

You need to set Header as well and you can directly used methods like 

I don't think so that you need to set  

Granite.OptOutUtil.init(window.GraniteOptOutConfig);

Level 4

Thanks for the help @arunpatidar.

Some replies from me:

@arunpatidar wrote:

Hi,

I did not implemented this, I was just refering the documents.

Ok thanks for confirming.

Can you check this configuration at http://localhost:4504/libs/granite/security/optout/configuration.json

My localhost:4502 author instance returns valid json (as you'd expect, given this comes as standard out of the box).

{"cookienames": ["omniture_optout","cq-opt-out"],"headers": {},"whitelistcookienames": ["ys-cq-siteadmin-tree","cq-sk-collapsed","ys-cq-cf-tabpanel","cq-show-clientcontext", // ...etc

Please check https://rmengji.wordpress.com/2015/02/26/aem-do-not-track-cookie-setting-aem-granite-opt-out-service...

You need to set Header as well and you can directly used methods like 

Ok I will add the X-Do-Not-Track header (if that's what you meant?) but i'm not sure why this would make this feature work?  As you can see from my comments above, I am already calling methods directly like getCookieNames(), they just return empty arrays - despite the configuration.  This is the root of my problem.

I don't think so that you need to set  

I don't "set" or call this function, it is run by the browser.   I only mention it here to explain why client-side methods like getCookieNames return empty arrays (because the window.GraniteOptOutConfig object that provides this data is undefined when the init() function runs (see http://localhost:4502/crx/de/index.jsp#/libs/clientlibs/granite/utils/source/init.js)).

Community Advisor

Hi,

I checked the code but did not find where the values are set

(function(d) {
    return function() {
        var d = {}
          , w = []
          , y = [];
        d.init = function(d) {
            d ? (w = d.cookieNames || [],
            y = d.whitelistCookieNames || []) : (w = [],
            y = [])
        }
        ;
        d.getCookieNames = function() {
            return w
        }
        ;
        d.getWhitelistCookieNames = function() {
            return y
        }
        ;
        d.isOptedOut = function() {
            for (var q = document.cookie.split(";"), r = 0; r < q.length; r++) {
                var y = q[r].split("\x3d")[0];
                y = String.prototype.trim ? y.trim() : y.replace(/^[\s\uFEFF\xA0]+|[\s\uFEFF\xA0]+$/g, "");
                if (0 <= d.getCookieNames().indexOf(y))
                    return !0
            }
            return !1
        }
        ;
        d.maySetCookie = function(q) {
            return !(d.isOptedOut() && -1 === d.getWhitelistCookieNames().indexOf(q))
        }
        ;
        return d
    }()
});

Level 4

Hi @arunpatidar 

Where is JS you've pasted in above taken from?

This granite.utils client library is made up of the scripts specified in /libs/clientlibs/granite/utils/js.txt, i.e.

#base=source

Sling.js
Util.js
HTTP.js
I18n.js
TouchIndicator.js
OptOutUtil.js

init.js

If you look at /libs/clientlibs/granite/utils/source/OptOutUtil.js you'll see code (and its inline documentation) like the following (line 63 onwards)

/**
         * Initializes this tool with an opt-out configuration.
         * The following options are supported:
         * <ul>
         *     <li>cookieNames: an array of cookie names representing opt-out cookies. Defaults to empty.</li>
         *     <li>whitelistCookieNames: an array of cookies representing white-listed cookies. Defaults to empty.</li>
         * </ul>
         * @param {Object} config The opt-out configuration.
         * @example
         * {
         *     "cookieNames": ["omniture_optout","cq-opt-out"],
         *     "whitelistCookieNames": ["someAppCookie", "anotherImportantAppCookie"]
         * }
         */
        self.init = function(config) {
            if (config) {
                optOutCookieNames = config.cookieNames || [];
                whitelistedCookieNames = config.whitelistCookieNames || [];
            } else {
                optOutCookieNames = [];
                whitelistedCookieNames = [];
            }
        };

Level 4

@VaniBhemarasetty  are you familiar with the AEM Sites cookie opt out feature?
I can't get the client side library to work, following the Adobe documentation.

I'm sure i'm missing something simple - see the comments above on this forum question. 

Level 4

Also, I tried setting the header as per the other web page you referenced and applied changes to the "we retail" example project.  Unfortunately with the same outcome 😣

I must be missing some configuration or additional settings...

My local osgi output service now configured as follows,

http://localhost:4502/libs/granite/security/optout/configuration.json

{
  "cookienames": [
    "omniture_optout",
    "cq-opt-out"
  ],
  "headers": {
    "X-Do-Not-Track": "1",
    "DNT": "1"
  },
  "whitelistcookienames": [