Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

Are tags written directly to PDF files?

Level 2

Hi - I'm trying to confirm that when an author tags a PDF in the DAM the tags are written directly to the PDF. 

When I downloaded a PDF from our prod DAM and uploaded it into my local environment, the PDF was already tagged.  Alternatively, when I tagged a PDF in my local and uploaded it our prod DAM, the asset also had the correct tags. 

If tags are written directly to PDF files (and this may be a question for a different forum), should I be able to see these tags in Adobe Acrobat (the tags were not visible in the Acrobat Tags panel)? I did these same tests with a Word doc, and the tags didn't carry over from one environment to another.

Thanks!

4 Replies

Employee

No , when I tag a pdf in AEM ->download and reupload I don't see those tags.

Any metadata property will be written to binary only if XMP metadata write back is enabled which is usually disabled by default unless you need metadata to be persisted on binaries.You may want to check this workflow / listener .

Level 2

Thanks for the reply.  I just tested some new PDFs on a fresh 6.5 instance with SP15 and I'm still seeing the tags persisting between downloads/uploads of PDFs.  Any other recommendations on troubleshooting?  

Community Advisor

@a74048191r if your real intention is to keep the tags intact irrespective of the environment/machine, you can use Adobe Bridge, that attaches the XMP metadata to your files and they will remain as is until manually removed from the same tool.

Community Advisor

@a74048191r  Did you find a solution to this issue? If so, can you please share with the community or mark one of the answers as correct? TIA!