Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

AEM SEO Implementation

Level 10

Hi all,

Let us say I have two teams, one for UI development (HTML, JS and CSS)  and the other for AEM Development and the work for these two teams is clearly delineated.

For SEO Implementation:

1. it looks like most of the work needs to be done by UI development team. Is it true?

2. Configuring the Rich Text Editor for producing accessible content:

Is it the job of UI development team?

3. What is the work of AEM Development team?

4. I read configuring components for Alt Txt etc. This definitely is the work of AEM Development team.

5. So, how to estimate AEM efforts?

6. Could we say 5% of effort for all components for configuring Alt Txt etc?

7. What is the difference among levels A, AA and AAA from the implementation perspective?

Does it have any bearing on AEM efforts?

Appreciate all your replies.

Thanks,

Rama.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Rama,

take two requirements, URL structure, in order to enforce this, you would instruct your authors in how they should structure the site and name their pages.

Adding an H1 to every page. The design team creates the the HTML outputted, the AEM team creates the components to allow the author to enter the title, they then add the H1 component to the template so it is available every time a page is created from the template.

Your question is very open ended and more suited to consulting. If you have a specific use case and need help implementing it, then that would be a more appropriate question. No harm in asking, but open ended questions don't always get an answer

Regards,

Opkar

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Level 10

For SEO Implementation:

1. it looks like most of the work needs to be done by UI development team. Is it true? (AEM development is done between both Front end UI developers and back-end Java developers)

Is it the job of UI development team? (this is typically done by front-end component developers - the RTE is usually implemented within a component dialog)

3. What is the work of AEM Development team? (Coding front end components/ back-end Java services)

4. I read configuring components for Alt Txt etc. This definitely is the work of AEM Development team. (YES)

5. So, how to estimate AEM efforts? (Depends on a lot of factors - will you use OOTB components, or develop your own components, how many Java services do you need, etc)

6. Could we say 5% of effort for all components for configuring Alt Txt etc?

7. What is the difference among levels A, AA and AAA from the implementation perspective?

Level 10

Hi Scott,

Let us say I need to implement SEO in my project and I have two distinct teams: One: UI Development Team and Two : AEM Development Team.

All the below queries are pertinent to SEO implementation.

1. it looks like most of the work needs to be done by UI development team. Is it true?

2. Apart from Configuring components with Alt-Txt,, What is the work of AEM Development team?

3. Could we say 5% of effort for all components for configuring Alt Txt etc for AEM Development team?

4. SEO has different levels of compliance: A, AA and AAA.

What is the difference among levels A, AA and AAA from the implementation perspective?

Appreciate all your replies.

Thanks,

Rama.

Level 9

Hi All,

Most of the work should be done at the component level. Any component should be designed to fulfill SEO requirement. For extensive SEO implementation, yes Front end development does required. but that depends on requirement.

Most of the cases, less work for Front end.

Regards,

Jitendra

Level 10

Hi Jitendra,

Thanks for responding.

As you are aware, component has UI part as well as AEM part.

When you say component level, I hope you are talking about the work of AEM Development team.

Is it possible for you to list some activities of UI part as well as AEM part?

Ex: URL Rewriting: Between UI Development team. and AEM Development team, whose job is it?

Also, SEO has different levels of compliance: A, AA and AAA.

What is the difference among levels A, AA and AAA from the implementation perspective?

When you say "depends on requirement", do you mean levels of compliance: A, AA and AAA, as the client specifies this compliance.

Appreciate your responses.

Thanks,

Rama.

Employee

Hi Rama,

excuse my ignorance but do you have a link for SEO compliance and A, AA, AAA? I have only come across A, AA and AAA in relation to accessibility Beginner's Guide to Website Compliance - Blog - Spinutech

As for SEO, it really does come down to requirements as mentioned by Jitendra. There is some guidance in the docs SEO and URL Management Best Practices

Once you have determined what you want to implement on your site, then you can decide what needs to be authored and what needs to be rendered in the page. For example baking in an H1 component, having H1, H2, H3 in that order on your page, adding meta description to your page (meta tags etc)

Regards,

Opkar

Level 10

Hi Opkar,

I agree that A, AA and AAA compliance levels are pertinent to Accessibility.

Sorry for confusing you.

But, going through the links offered by you, I am not able to understand the distribution of work between UI Development Team and AEM Development Team.

Generally these two teams exist and they do in my case as well and the concerns need to be completely separate.

I also agree that these are requirements driven.

But, for the purpose of my understanding, could we not take typical requirements please?

What do you mean by the word baking in "baking in an H1 component"? Is it hard coding H1 component in the template?

Thanks,

Rama.

Employee

>What do you mean by the word baking in "baking in an H1 component"? Is it hard coding H1 component in the template?

One SEO requirement could be that all pages must have an H1 component, so in code you add the H1 component to the template. The UI development team will work on how the H1 will look, the AEM dev team will add the component to the template and make sure it does not appear in the list of components.

Can you explain the roles and responsibilities of your UI and AEM teams when it comes to creating components?

Regards,

Opkar

Level 10

Hi Opkar,

The design team creates the HTML, CSS and JS.

The AEM team integrates them using ClientLibs etc.

Thanks,

Rama.

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Rama,

take two requirements, URL structure, in order to enforce this, you would instruct your authors in how they should structure the site and name their pages.

Adding an H1 to every page. The design team creates the the HTML outputted, the AEM team creates the components to allow the author to enter the title, they then add the H1 component to the template so it is available every time a page is created from the template.

Your question is very open ended and more suited to consulting. If you have a specific use case and need help implementing it, then that would be a more appropriate question. No harm in asking, but open ended questions don't always get an answer

Regards,

Opkar

Level 10

Hi Opkar,

Your reply is very helpful to me.

Thanks a lot for your patience while explaining me.

Thanks,

Rama.

Level 1

Thanks a lot for help! To analyze the backlinks of your site, there are tons of SEO tools. This saves you time and guarantees excellent results. The tool is great for analyzing backlinks https://seranking.com/backlink-checker.html auditing the link mass of any domain, including the domain of your competitors

Level 1

Hi Rama,

Thanks for your questions regarding SEO implementation and the roles of UI development and AEM development teams. Let's break it down:

1. For SEO implementation:

• Yes, indeed, a significant portion of the work for SEO implementation typically falls under the purview of the UI development team. This includes optimizing HTML structure, implementing structured data markup, and ensuring proper usage of headings and tags for improved search engine visibility.

• While configuring the Rich Text Editor for accessibility is primarily a UI development task, collaboration with the AEM development team may be necessary to integrate custom features or functionalities to enhance accessibility standards.
  3. The work of AEM Development team:

• The AEM development team is responsible for the backend development and configuration of the Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) platform. This includes creating and configuring components, templates, and workflows to support content management and delivery.
  4. Configuring components for Alt Text, etc.:

• Correct, configuring components for attributes like Alt Text is typically handled by the AEM development team, as it involves backend configuration within the AEM platform to ensure accessibility standards are met.
  5. Estimating AEM efforts:

• Estimating AEM efforts involves considering factors such as the complexity of the website or application, the number of custom components required, integration with third-party systems, and the level of customization needed for SEO optimization and accessibility.
  6. Effort allocation for configuring Alt Text, etc.:

• While it's challenging to assign a specific percentage of effort for configuring Alt Text and other accessibility features, it's essential to consider these requirements during the estimation process and allocate resources accordingly based on project needs.
  7. Difference among levels A, AA, and AAA from the implementation perspective:

• The levels A, AA, and AAA refer to the WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) standards for accessibility. While all levels aim to improve accessibility, each level has progressively stricter criteria. From an implementation perspective, adhering to higher WCAG levels may require additional effort and resources, potentially impacting AEM development efforts.

In conclusion, collaboration between the UI development and AEM development teams is key to successful SEO implementation and accessibility. By leveraging the strengths of both teams and considering SEO and accessibility requirements from the outset, you can boost your SEO and digital PR campaign while ensuring an inclusive and accessible user experience.

Hope this helps clarify things for you!

Best regards,