Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

YouTube streaming very glitchy on Android phones

Level 3

I have tried inserting the embed code from YouTube 2 different ways in my app. Object>Insert html and also creating a frame with a web overlay. Both ways seem to work fine at first glance, but when you hit the full screen button the video disappears while the audio continues to play and then the app crashes. This is only on Android phones (nexus 6P and samsung galaxy edge 7 to be specific). The Android tablet doesn't give you the full screen button, which I would prefer if it's going to crash the app. On iOS everything is perfect. It actually throws it to full screen automatically. Anyone else having this issue? Is there another way I should be inserting video on the phone version. This is a 2 top level app if that helps.

3 Replies

Level 3

Am I the only one experiencing this issue?

Employee

If you have access to host the video directly (for example, from your own servers or a Vimeo pro account), the best way to deliver video playback on AEM Mobile Android is to directly link to the .mp4. This can be done either with a video overlay (from InDesign content) or the <video> tag in HTML. Fullscreen video is fully supported from video overlays using the AEM Mobile video player, but not yet from HTML (although it is on our list).

A direct <video> embed tag will use Android's HTML video player, which should recognize that fullscreen is not supported and not include fullscreen player controls. Third party video sites like YouTube use their own players, which may or may not know or respect whether the container supports fullscreen. Some of them are configurable as to whether to include fullscreen controls (I'm not sure about YouTube).