Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

What exactly is AEM mobile?

Level 5

Is it a hybrid app solution like phonegap or ionic letting the devs use HTML, CSS, JS, etc to create native like hybrid apps?

Since it has the AEM moniker I'm guessing it has some tight integration with AEM? Can normal AEM components, pages used for desktop / mobile web apps be used as a hybrid app instead using AEM mobile? If yes, can the same pages and components developed to be used for mobile browsers also be used for apps using AEM mobile?

Just trying to understand what the core features are for AEM mobile.

8 Replies

Employee Advisor

AEM Mobile was build on Phonegap itself (Adobe PhoneGap Build ) and we can create hybrid apps. But Adobe discontinued its from 6.3/6/4 onwards and recommeds content as a service model.

I personally loved AEM Mobile where we had a console and can do content releases directly to app. But, I guess the issues with phonegap compared to native made them discontinue them.

CaaS is a great model where the content is fully managed in AEM and is exposed to app/spa as rest api. Read more at Adobe Experience Manager Help | Getting Started with AEM Content Services

Level 5

Thanks. So AEM Mobile is no longer available as a solution?

Employee Advisor

That's correct, it's no more a solution in AEM. Below is 6.4.4 homepage and AEM mobile is no solution available.

Screenshot 2019-06-17 at 09.44.02.png

Level 2

AEM Mobile is available!!!

AEM Apps

The replies so far deal with a mobile solution that was built in AEM using PhoneGap.  It was also called AEM Apps at one point.  To find out more about that, I suggest going to the AEM forum.  Through some marketing, it was also called AEM Mobile, but that is really not what AEM Mobile is about. AEM Apps is only available in AEM if you are upgrading from from a system that supported AEM Apps.

AEM Mobile

AEM Mobile is a technology which stands totally separate from AEM.  There is a lot of material online and trying to describe it in a forum post will never do it justice.  Be sure to research "AEM Mobile" and not get it confused with AEM Apps.

It was a way to create content rich mobile applications with a lot of support for building the app, managing the App stores, entitlements, subscriptions, analytics, etc.  You can feed content into the AEM Mobile (AEMM) system from many sources including InDesign and (just to add some confusion) from AEM through a communication integration (sharing content, articles, collections, banners, etc.).

Employee Advisor

Apologies, true. I got confused with AEM apps. It was called AEM Mobile in the console of 6.2 as below and hence I thought the question is about it came up in the AEM forum view

upload.png

Level 5

Thanks for the detailed reply and clarification. I also went through some additional documentation.

However, it still doesn't answer my original question(s)...

1. Can the components and pages created in AEM author for Desktop / mobile web be reused to create apps in AEM mobile?

2. Is phonegap still supported by AEM mobile? If not, how do we create highly dynamic UIs with js / css in AEM mobile?

Level 2

Does the AEM Mobile vs AEM Apps make sense now?  It is pretty confusing.  Without understanding the difference, my answers will most likely not clear up the confusion.

AEM Mobile does have an integration with AEM but it is not what "nirmaljosehere" was explaining.  What he said was all correct in the AEM Apps product.

AEM Mobile came from the Digitial Publishing world...

So, focusing on AEM Mobile ...

1)  Not directly.  It would take some detailed work to make them work for Desktop and a AEM Mobile app.  You'd have to play with content sync configurations, shared resources, etc.  Personally, I haven't seen it done - but some customers or partners may have figured it out.

2) AEM Mobile never used Phonegap (AEM Apps did) since it handled all the App building for the customer.  It did allow some Cordova plugins to be used.  HTML/CSS can be used in AEM Mobile, as well as PDFs, InDesign output, etc.  "Highly dynamic"?  That takes advanced experience in AEM Mobile.

Employee Advisor

jakej40603950​ - before getting into what the different products are, can you let us know what you are looking to do, and what you have a license for? Feel free to message directly.