Expand my Community achievements bar.

Web Viewer Open External Links in New Tab?

Level 1

Dear colleagues,

After v29 of DPS, one could set FrameService to externalLinksOpen : 'window' per this instruction. Re: Web Viewer - getting buttons to open in a new tab or window

However, in the AEM Mobile version of the Desktop Web Viewer, the configuration listed on this page Set up the Desktop Web Viewer for AEM Mobile  does not include information about FrameService, since the content is being mirrored through the aem loader javascript.

Any insight into opening external links in a new tab would be greatly appreciated as it greatly improves the user experience by leaving the user on her page while perusing external content.

Thank you in advance!

Coleman

3 Replies

Employee

Use target=_blank in your HTML links so that the web viewer opens the target URL in a new tab.

Level 1

Hi Bob,

I definitely understand how this works when creating content with HTML, but is there a corollary for authoring fixed-width layouts in inDesign CC? I have a feeling that the URL field in the hyperlink panel in inDesign cannot take the target=_blank command. Is "open in a new tab" only available for HTML content?

Thanks,

Coleman

Employee

I'm not aware of a way to make an InDesign hyperlink or button open a new tab in Web Viewer. The "Open in Device Browser" option in the Overlays panel has no effect in Web Viewer. I think you need to use HTML.