Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Price and other retail metadata

Level 1

How do you have the price etc. appear on the card. I migrated some folios and set them to retail, but I don't see the price etc.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Bruce,

Purchasing is only available from the browse page of a collection or the paywall. The price shows either when the reader taps "buy" in the top right of a collection's browse page, or when they tap "view purchase options" on the paywall screen.

Neil

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Bruce,

Purchasing is only available from the browse page of a collection or the paywall. The price shows either when the reader taps "buy" in the top right of a collection's browse page, or when they tap "view purchase options" on the paywall screen.

Neil

Level 1

Hi Neil,

I'm still not seeing anything

The product ID exists already in iTunes Connect and the shared secret is in the app

The article are default metered

I tried both with the collection set to Browse view as well as Content view

Am I missing something?

Employee

For the Product ID associated with the collection, did you turn off "Free Content" to make it a retail collection?

When you built the app, did you turn off "Enable Preview"? Paywalls don't appear in preview apps.

Have you tried adding protected articles to the retail collection?

Level 1

Hi Bob, Neil,

I changed one of the articles in the Collection to Protected (I had to spend about 10 minutes looking for the article) and I can now see purchase options when I go that article, but not for the articles which are metered, I wonder if that is the expected behavior, because I did not enable article preview in the Project Settings under Content

I can foresee quite a few issues

From a user experience:

When a retail collection is set to Browse Page.

Firstly you will only know if the Collection is Free or Paid by tapping on the collection and then wait to see the buy button in the top right corner

Secondly if there are any free or metered Articles you will only know by opening each Article, since there is no icon or indication whether it's free, or protected

When a retail collection is set to Content View.

You will only know if the Article is free or paid by swiping through each Article

Basically everything looks like it's free until you try to read it

From a Content Management Perspective

Articles from migrated folios "access" seems to be metered by default now.

If you want to change to Article to protected it means you have to open each article individually and change it

Is there a way to do bulk updates to Articles?

Is there a way in Layouts & Contents > Contents to know which Article resides in which Collection?

Or alternatively it would be nice if from the Collections you could select Articles inside a Collection and do Bulk updates

Also is there a way to filter Articles by Access? Metered, Protected, Free

Employee

Hi,

With regards to "Basically everything looks like it's free until you try to read it", that's the intended design in DPS 2015. We had tons of feedback and data about the previous version of DPS, where readers would come into the app, see a library of issues that cost money, and then would leave and never return. We tried all sorts of preview experiences in the previous version of DPS and the reality is people still had concerns tapping on the covers.

The new version of DPS takes a different approach, expecting and encouraging readers to dive into content to explore. Paywalls and metering give you the opportunity to convert those exploring readers to paid customers.

As for your content management questions, yes, they're all really good ideas that will help content management quite a bit. We have a long list we're working through, expect improvements in that area in upcoming releases.

Neil