Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

navigate to collection brows page

Level 5

Hi. Is there a working url I can use that will navigate to a collection? Not necessarily the home collection, but the browse page of to the collection a user is already in. I want to add a button on an article page that will bring the user back to the browse page that article is housed in. Of course if I tap the page, the chrome drops down to display the back button, though management wants a button displayed on the page so the user doesn't have to tap to see the chrome to go back.

Thanks!

Jeff

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 6

Currently, there is no way to navigate from to collections. However, if the collection is at the same level and within the same collection as the article from which you want to link to it, you should be able to use a navto URL with the collection name. Likewise, as you may already know, on iOS, you can navto the Home collection w/ goto://ApplicationViewState/library. I am not aware of an equivalent command for Android, but I need one! 

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 6

Currently, there is no way to navigate from to collections. However, if the collection is at the same level and within the same collection as the article from which you want to link to it, you should be able to use a navto URL with the collection name. Likewise, as you may already know, on iOS, you can navto the Home collection w/ goto://ApplicationViewState/library. I am not aware of an equivalent command for Android, but I need one! 

Employee

Android will support those goto:// links in our next release, I think this coming Monday.

Neil

Level 5

Thank you for this piece of info. I have visited your original post and tried to utilize this goto://ApplicationViewState/library in my URL button, though my app crashes each time I tap on it. As far as the navto:// goes, I added that to the url and the name of my article (navto://Mod5) and when I tapped on it I get a dialog that tells me Content Not Found. If it worked would goto://ApplicationViewState/library take the user to the first collection in the app or the current collection browse page they tapped the button in?

Thoughts?

I am using a preview app, though I figure that shouldn't make a difference.

Employee

Which OS are you seeing the crash on? It shouldn’t crash. When tapped it will go to the first item in the top-level collection.

If you’re seeing content not found that means the format of your navto isn’t correct for the article.

Neil

Level 6

Are you working on iOS?

I use the Go to URL - goto://ApplicationViewState/library on nearly each page in our

Working at ExxonMobil app. You can check it out in the App store if you'd like:

https://appsto.re/us/QXRt2.i

Level 5

I'm building/testing on IOS 8.4 and my articles with Indesign CC 2015 using the buttons panel to create a url button using the "Go To URL" action and in the url link box I'm adding the goto://ApplicationViewState/library

I have built it a few times, restarted my device, quit and relaunched the preview app, deleted and reinstalled the app. It crashes each time I tap the home button.

Screen Shot 2015-08-19 at 4.54.00 PM.png

Employee

I asked the team about this and they haven't seen any crashing.

How is the content set up? Are the articles with the buttons part of the top level? Or are they nested within a collection?

Level 5

Here is my layout:

TopLevel

Mod1

Articles 1-5

Mod2

Articles 1-5 (Article 1 has the home button for testing purposes)

Mod3

Articles 1-5

To clarify on the navto:// - I should be able to create a button using the Buttons panel in Indesign, the Go To URL action, and a url of: navto://Mod3 and this would take the user back to the collection browse page of which the article that has the button resides? It still tells me Content Not Found.

Screen Shot 2015-08-19 at 5.29.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-19 at 5.33.21 PM.png

Employee

As mentioned earlier in the thread, we do not support navto:// collections. Your navto://Mod3 won’t work. It will return content not found as we look for an article with that name (which doesn’t exist, it’s a collection).

Neil

Level 5

Ok, I was moving forward based on what the correct answer was marked as above,"However, if the collection is at the same level and within the same collection as the article from which you want to link to it, you should be able to use a navto URL with the collection name."

Employee

Not sure if that part actually works, but if it does, that's not how your content is structured. Your articles are a child of Mod3, they aren't at the same level and within the same collection.

Neil

Level 6

Truwax, your description does not have Mod3 at the same level as the button within Mod2 Article1-5.  From Article 1, it would need to back out a directory to Mod2, then over to Mod3.  IF Mod3 were INSIDE of Mod2, it would be at the same level as Article 1 and would work. However there is no way to back out, or delve inside of collections. Strictly only lateral connections.

Level 5

Yes, I've since removed all my collections from the top level and placed all the articles that were in those collections inside of the top level. Now I can navigate around the whole app without issue and all my article content lands inside the hamburger menu, a bonus for us. I have created separation articles to put between what were my collections. These articles are basically a screenshot of the old collection pages of our 5 cards and 5 invisible buttons. This breaks up my content in the menu and now I can navigate around and back as I wanted. The "fake" Browse pages only work for this app because we only have 5 cards that fit our iPad layout.

This will work well for us. I still look forward to the ability to navigate between collections.

Jeff