Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

dual orientation article (or some workaround)

Level 1

Hi,

In my iPhone app which has been made with DPS classic all content is stored in vertical layout while slideshows are available after you rotate the screen. You are able to view pictures using full screen. In my opinion it's very convenient way for reading articles on small screens. If I switch to DPS 2015 how can I accomplish that using InDesign based workflow?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

With the June 23 release, you can now choose Landscape, Portrait, or Both for Orientation when building an iOS app. If you choose both, browse pages, HTML articles, and smooth scrolling PDF articles fill the screen in either orientation. InDesign-based or PDF-based fixed-layout articles are letterboxed to fit the screen when users rotate the device away from the article’s target orientation.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Employee

You can mix portrait and landscape articles in the same collection with DPS 2015, but at the moment apps are locked to a specific orientation so in your case the landscape articles would appear letterboxed in portrait. We have plans to add rotation support, and once that's in you can just publish a landscape article with your slideshow and then the reader would just rotate the device to landscape to see them.

Neil

Level 1

Hello Neil,

I have the same problem: I'm migrating the magazine that I follow for years and it had been developed in both orientations.
how can I migrate it properly, so I do not lose content?
possibly, I should export all items in a particular way and would appear in two specific guidelines?

Employee

The current AEM Mobile platform does not support dual-orientation apps. We have plans to support dual-orientation apps; however, for a single article in the system only one orientation can be uploaded for InDesign-based articles. The same is true for migration, you must chose between the two orientations when migrating or authoring new content. For HTML-based articles the content will fill the entire screen in either orientation.

Level 1

thank you so much,
I assume that to me goes well also see the landscape ipad in letterboxed portrait format.
But what should I do? I did the migration of all old folio which were in both orientations.
But I could choose whether vertical or horizontal. I chose vertical and now I had migrate only portrait page of my old article.
Should I migrate first one (vertical) and then the other (orizontal) for each old folio?
And then in aem I have to insert them as different items (different article) in the same collection?
there is a guide to properly follow these steps?
otherwise, the risk of losing them because I do not think that once upgraded my app I can still use the migration of old folios, or will I?

Employee

Hi Fabio. Is your content basically the same in both horizontal and vertical layouts, or is there different content? If the content is basically the same in both orientations, then you need to pick an orientation and then migrate only the that orientation of the folios. If you pick vertical, then migrate only the vertical layouts of your folios. Don't migrate the horizontal layouts, or you'll just add clutter to your project.

You seem to be under the impression that you migrate on an article-by-article basis. You migrate folios. When a folio is migrated, all the articles in that folio are reproduced in the project, and a collection is created that includes those articles.

You can migrate folios at any time.

Here are a couple of articles you should read:

Strategies for upgrading apps from DPS to AEM Mobile

Migrate content from DPS folios for AEM Mobile

Correct answer by
Employee

With the June 23 release, you can now choose Landscape, Portrait, or Both for Orientation when building an iOS app. If you choose both, browse pages, HTML articles, and smooth scrolling PDF articles fill the screen in either orientation. InDesign-based or PDF-based fixed-layout articles are letterboxed to fit the screen when users rotate the device away from the article’s target orientation.