Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

DP content disappears in AEM app on iPad

Level 2

Recently I've had a problem with content "disappearing" on the AEM app preflight viewer on my iPad 9.3.2. AEM had an upgrade on June 3 and that's when I've noticed the problem. Content simply fades away, videos won't play, seems to be anything that has motion, animation, or object states in the article.

Has anyone else come across this problem, and if so, can help direct me to a solution? I'm developing 7 collections (magazines) and it's happening across each collection. 

11 Replies

Level 2

Hi jillc33833518,

You may have the same problem (we filed this feature request below with the AEM Mobile support team):

Adobe Experience Manager Mobile app conforms to:

iOS Data Storage Guidelines - Apple Developer

and saves all downloaded content inside <Application_Home>/Library/Caches folder. The problem we have is that when storage space is low, iOS storage management deletes all that content and then user can't access files offline. Is there a way (an option) to change a location of that folder outside the Library folder and to assign "do not back up" attribute to it, please?

Ideally this option should be in the app's user settings, so if a user would like to keep her/his downloads for offline use she/he may set that "Keep downloads if low space"option.

Thank you,

Gennady

Employee

How big are the .article files that you are creating? The app maintains a 750MB cache. If the app hits that limit it will free up some space to make room for more space. If you are seeing this with videos and other interactive content it's possible that limit is being hit.

Level 3

Is there a way to increase the cache size?  I'm having the same issue with stuff disappearing for users if offline. When they are offline is when they need it the most as they are in front of buyers presenting the content.  I'm probably always going to have between 1 and 2 GB worth of content within the app.

Level 2

> Is there a way to increase the cache size?

- From here: History of new feature notes for AEM Mobile releases

Explicit downloading of collections (iOS, Android, Windows)      

The DPS 2015.5 (Oct. 3) release included support for explicit downloads of collections on iOS devices. With the DPS 2015.6 (Oct. 27) release, users can tap an icon to explicitly download the collection in all three platforms—iOS, Android, and Windows. A downloaded collection will not be removed from the device until the user manually removes it.

Whenever users view browse pages and articles in an app, the content is loaded into cache. When the cache limit (300 MB) is reached, the least recently viewed content is removed from cache. Downloading a collection prevents the its contents from being purged from cache. A downloaded collection is not included in the cache.

Now, what I just checked using PhoneBrowse - the explicitly downloaded collection still goes inside the <Application_Home>/Library/Caches folder (this is different thing from the apps cache mentioned above and maintained by the app itself). And this means that downloaded collection is still could be deleted by iOS automatic storage management. Anybody has low space on the iPad to test this, please?

Thanks,

Gennady

Level 2

Thank you BOTH ... I'm going to look into the size of content ... this makes a lot of sense as I created the latest magazine version, I noticed changes with "object states" and "video" content disappearing. If I have more questions will get back here!  Thanks soooo much!  Jill

Level 2

Thank you. Looking into it ... sounds about right!  Jill

Level 3

Hello

I´m having the same problem with a ANDROID application.

6Gb of content was lost from a customer device.

We have a huge application. Something about 500 collections.

Collections with 30 to 40 articles. Something about 8Mb each article.

The device have 16Gb, Android 4.4. With the 6gb of content still have 2Gb of free storage.

My application was generated in may/25.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Leo

Level 2

Hi Leo,

What Nathan Marroquin meant in that other thread for the Android app (Re: Loosing off-line content - DPS2015 application ) that you need to send the post you just submitted to cresupp@adobe.com

Level 2

Hi Leo -

I moved our content off our server and we have had no issues with losing content on the app/iPad. Over a couple weeks and clues working with an Adobe Engineer, I put some pieces together that allowed me to figure out it was an uploading issue through our network. We are still working through the issue.

Jill