Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Changing Project Values

Level 3

Summary

Would like to edit the Link Reference and Report Suite fields, or be able to migrate everything between projects. Failing either of those options, I'd like to know that the values in these fields really don't matter.

Example Values

Basic:Link ReferenceAnalytics:Report Suite
DPS 2014 Appcom.mycompany.myappcom.mycompany.myapp
AEM Mobile Appcom.mycompany.myappdevcom.mycompany.myappdev

The exact values have been changed to protect the innocent.

Details

Currently, we've made weeks of progress creating a new AEMM app to replace our DPS 2014 app. The problem that has come up is that the AEMM project we created have different settings values in two places that don't match the existing DPS app. Since we couldn't find a way to edit these values, we created a new project with the proper values. Once we did that, we discovered that there is no way to move content between projects. So we're facing days of work to remedy this problem. That's assuming that the values in these fields have an important effect.

Questions

1. What effects would occur from having a mismatched value in the Link Reference field? Reading on this forum leads me to believe that the feature this provides doesn't even work yet.

2. What effects would occur from having a mismatched value in the Report Suite field? I have yet to discover any good reference for how analytics will relate between these two editions of DPS/AEMM.

Desired Solutions

1. In an ideal solution, we could get help from Adobe to correct the values in the original AEMM project

2. Or a way to move the weeks of work from the old AEMM project to the new, corrected one.

3. We'd be willing to leave the values as they are, provided there wouldn't be serious consequences.

4. And if all of that isn't possible, we'll have to painstakingly recreate content, hierarchy and settings in the new project, using the old one as a guide.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Short answer: Keep using the previous project. Don't worry about these values for migration.

1. What effects would occur from having a mismatched value in the Link Reference field? Reading on this forum leads me to believe that the feature this provides doesn't even work yet.

That's correct. The Link Reference field isn't supported at this time, so there's no problem with having a mismatched value. (Link Reference was intended to be used for deep linking from outside the app, but at this time we're using dps.<projectid>.)

2. What effects would occur from having a mismatched value in the Report Suite field? I have yet to discover any good reference for how analytics will relate between these two editions of DPS/AEMM.

When migrating from DPS to AEMM, it's fine to use a different value in the Report Suite field. The two platforms use different methods to gather analytics require different reports. If you have Adobe Analytics, you'll want to make sure that your analytics information is set up properly in master settings. If you need help with setting up analytics, contact Adobe support. Support information is available when you sign in to the Portal using a Master Admin account.

One other issue that you didn't mention but might want to consider. When you build your app, you specify a Bundle ID. When you build your AEM Mobile app, it is important to use the same Bundle ID you used when building your DPS app so that you can update it in the store. Also, it's a good idea to use the same Bundle ID for Android and iOS apps for certain services like In-App Messaging.

Migration resources:

Strategies for upgrading apps from DPS to AEM Mobile

Migrate content from DPS folios for AEM Mobile

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have other questions.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Employee

Short answer: Keep using the previous project. Don't worry about these values for migration.

That's correct. The Link Reference field isn't supported at this time, so there's no problem with having a mismatched value. (Link Reference was intended to be used for deep linking from outside the app, but at this time we're using dps.<projectid>.)

When migrating from DPS to AEMM, it's fine to use a different value in the Report Suite field. The two platforms use different methods to gather analytics require different reports. If you have Adobe Analytics, you'll want to make sure that your analytics information is set up properly in master settings. If you need help with setting up analytics, contact Adobe support. Support information is available when you sign in to the Portal using a Master Admin account.

One other issue that you didn't mention but might want to consider. When you build your app, you specify a Bundle ID. When you build your AEM Mobile app, it is important to use the same Bundle ID you used when building your DPS app so that you can update it in the store. Also, it's a good idea to use the same Bundle ID for Android and iOS apps for certain services like In-App Messaging.

Migration resources:

Strategies for upgrading apps from DPS to AEM Mobile

Migrate content from DPS folios for AEM Mobile

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have other questions.