Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Attaching Typekit fonts to DPS 2015 HTML articles

Level 2

Is there a trick to using Tyepkit fonts in DPS 2015 HTML articles?

Typically to include your Kit to a webpage, it is assigned to the URL of the site. I tried using the bundle id (reverse domain structure) but that doesn't seem to work.

Whats the method here?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Alex,

Typekit fonts aren't supported in DPS. While the rendering technology is HTML, DPS apps are apps, not websites, and thus there are licensing differences in play that prevent us from supporting Typekit fonts at the moment.

Neil

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Alex,

Typekit fonts aren't supported in DPS. While the rendering technology is HTML, DPS apps are apps, not websites, and thus there are licensing differences in play that prevent us from supporting Typekit fonts at the moment.

Neil

Level 2

Thanks Neil. Good to know. From your answer it sounds like they may become available at some time in the future?

Employee

I wouldn’t read more into my statement than I said ☺ I don’t expect this to work anytime in the near future.

Neil

Level 3

DPS Classic apps were apps to, but nonetheless it was allowed according to a statement of Ben from Typekit Support in the following thread.

DPS and Typekit

"Yes, desktop fonts from Typekit will be licensed for embedding in PDFs and other electronic documents, such as EPUB and Adobe’s Digital Publishing Suite (DPS)."

Or does that only apply to the desktop fonts?

Employee

His response is in reference to Typekit Desktop fonts, not Typekit web fonts. This thread is about using Typekit for HTML, which means web fonts.

Neil

Level 6

Backing up Neil:

At the moment, there are two ways fonts can be used in DPS 2015. 1) As part of an article. 2) As part of the app.

An article can either be exported from InDesign (pixel-perfect) or it can be HTML.

-- The InDesign article can use fonts that are licensed for use in a PDF or ePUB -- depending on the foundry's license. Specific faces in the Adobe Font Folio allow this usage. (Font Embedding Permissions | Adobe and specifically: Additional License Rights, font permission list | Adobe)

-- An HTML article might, someday, use something like a @font-face call in CSS, but this isn't supported yet --  but a call out to a web resource would be a problem for offline reading...

The second situation, a font built into the app, currently works for card design. But this isn't supported for use in an HTML article.

As Neil says, licensing fonts to be part of the app is a different use than as part of an article, so a foundry might require different licensing. The Font Folio resources above are for use in content, not in an app...

HTH -- Colin

Level 2

The @font-face call from CSS worked just fine for offline reading when I linked to local font files  - which I included with the other assets when generating the HTML article.

Level 6

True Alex -- I'm hoping that eventually I can use a CSS call to use the font that's in the app instead of a font that's part of the article.

Thanks for the mild correction.