Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Migrate workflow from AEM JEE to OSGi

Level 2

Can you please explain advantages and disadvantages for Migrate workflows from JEE to OSGi ?

Am i able to invoke OSGi workflow as a service by using REST URL like AEM JEE Workflow ?

How easy to build custom components in OSGi workflow comparatively JEE ?

Any Performance improvements if i do migrate workflow from JEE to OSGi ?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 9

It is quite easy to create custom components in OSGI. You basically implement an interface and use that code in the process step in your workflow 

J2 EE workflows can have input and output parameters and can be invoked quite easily from third party applications

in OSGI workflows can be invoked using the rest endpoint but the payload of that workflow needs to be in the repository and you need to provide path to that payload

if you have workflows which merge data with templates and return pdf in J2Ee in OSGI you will write servlet and expos the REST endpoints to your calling applications 

osgi is easy to install and manage

yku do not need database and application server

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 9

It is quite easy to create custom components in OSGI. You basically implement an interface and use that code in the process step in your workflow 

J2 EE workflows can have input and output parameters and can be invoked quite easily from third party applications

in OSGI workflows can be invoked using the rest endpoint but the payload of that workflow needs to be in the repository and you need to provide path to that payload

if you have workflows which merge data with templates and return pdf in J2Ee in OSGI you will write servlet and expos the REST endpoints to your calling applications 

osgi is easy to install and manage

yku do not need database and application server

Employee
Let me add some remarks to this: Migrating from AEM Forms JEE to OSGi only is a major step. The two products do share many functionalities (and in fact JEE contains its own OSGI stack), but they are very much different in the way you develop applications. Also, if you use BPM or Document Security (Policy Server) you do not have adequate replacements for it in OSGi. If your use orbits around adaptive forms, forms rendering to PDF or other output formats then using OSGi reduces the system footprint considerably as you can run AEM as a standalone installation with TarMK. Note though: clustering Author and Publish nodes will require a database such as MongoDB. Orchestrations in JEE cannot be re-used. You will have to develop services/servlets to have your external systems connect to. You can also use AEM Workflows (not the JEE orchestrations) to automate forms related tasks. You also have the choice to use watched folders for data and document input/output. From an AEM Forms license point of view there would be no difference using JEE or OSGi only.

Employee Advisor

@Wells_Sri Please see the response below:

Am i able to invoke OSGi workflow as a service by using REST URL like AEM JEE Workflow ? Yes

How easy to build custom components in OSGi workflow comparatively JEE ? It's easy if you know Java.

Any Performance improvements if i do migrate workflow from JEE to OSGi ? Very subjective question, it depends on underlying infra, application design, and load. 

Level 2
Can you provide some example for invoke OSGi Workflow from JAVA application and create some custom components.

Level 2
I have experience in java since worked with Adobe LiveCycle around 6 years, But new to OSGi stuff. planning to migration our AEM JEE Workflows to OSGi workflow since our AEM Server going to be changed soon. planning to roll out AEM JEE Server. Please provide your suggestions.