Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

ineffective password's password protection

Level 5

I created a form with AEM Form Designer and applied the following security settings to it.

MHWinter_0-1641928901085.png

When I open the file in Acrobat, it shows it's "(SECURED)"

MHWinter_1-1641928900721.png

However, when I open it again in AEM Designer, it does not ask for the password, and the security settings appear to have been reset! It's back to 

MHWinter_2-1641928901025.png

What's going on?!?! Any thoughts this? 

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 9

You need to specify password to open the document

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 9

You need to specify password to open the document

Employee Advisor

@MHWinter 

For more details on this topic, you may refer to this help doc[1] for more options.

Basically, PDF Security settings lets you define the access capabilities users have to the PDF forms. This is a two-step process; first, you specify that a password is required and then you specify the password that the user must enter when opening the form.

Hope this helps!

[1] - https://help.adobe.com/en_US/AEMForms/6.1/DesignerHelp/WS92d06802c76abadb-728f46ac129b395660c-7f83.2... 

Level 5

The password is not meant to limit the ability to use the form, but to prevent the access to the code, the structure, the JS scripts within the form. 
I’ve done that successfully in the past with LiveCycle Designer, but I’ve had this issues repeatedly after I switched to AEM Designer. 

Employee Advisor

@MHWinter I followed the steps mentioned above and didn't face any issues reported.

Created a XYZ form and updated the PDF security settings as mentioned above.

Opened the XYZ form in Acrobat -Works as expected

Opened the XYZ form in Designer, got a prompt for password, and the PDF settings are intact.

Could be an issue with the AEM Forms Designer version as I am using the latest i.e 650.017.

Level 10

Just to make this clear: The passwort protection is almost useless on XFA forms. Once the form has been opened in Acrobat the entire content of the XDP file is decrypted in the memory and accessible through JavaScript. You only need a few lines of code to export the template into a new unprotected XDP file.

function exportTemplate (oDoc) {
    var vpath = oDoc.path;
    oDoc.exportXFAData ({
        cPath: vpath.replace(/\.(pdf|PDF)/g, ".xdp"),
        bXDP: true,
        aPackets: ["template"]
    });
}

exportTemplate (this);

Level 5

thank you @radzmar , @Pulkit_Jain_  and @GirishBedekar 

It seems that the key to my problem is the checkbox to "Enable copying of text, images, and other content": if unticked, it takes the PW to open the file in Designer; but it does not if it is ticked.

MHWinter_0-1642104575716.png

Ain't that crazy? It looks like "and other content" refers to the code!

I am using version 6.5.0.201...

Enjoy your day