Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Language Copy and Live Copy Storage Usage - Reference or Duplication?

Level 1
Hey all! Question about images in a DAM and multi-language versions of that image's meta data. In 6.5 or Cloud, when a language copy or a live copy gets created (in the backend), does the actual image file get duplicated or is it completely a reference? I am wondering in regards to storage space as we have thousands of images that need translated meta (title...etc) data.
1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 9

@andrewb51216333 : Live copies are not just references but actual assets/pages.

They need their own storage space. I think are same as their original source with additional linkage with the source to sync/roll-out changes from the source.

You can see this in author instance in crxde lite as well.

thanks.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 9

@andrewb51216333 : Live copies are not just references but actual assets/pages.

They need their own storage space. I think are same as their original source with additional linkage with the source to sync/roll-out changes from the source.

You can see this in author instance in crxde lite as well.

thanks.

Community Advisor

@andrewb51216333  You can enable binaryless translation to save storage/space, while creating language copies for assets. 

I followed these 2 docs for AEM 6.5 (AMS):

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-65/assets/administer/best-practices-for-t... 
https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-65/administering/introduction/tc-tic.html 

Here is what I did on my instance:
- disabled xmp write back workflow launcher 
- enabled out-of-the-box "Set last modified date" workflow launcher
- created a translation integration config. Go to Tools - Cloud Service - Translation Cloud Services
- In this config, make sure you uncheck the box for translating assets, and only enable it for tags and metadata (if desired). Also, set it to "Auto Execute Translation"
- apply that config to the folder containing your language folders.
- When doing translation for the first time, need to create translation project, and project can be re-used for all future translations. multi-lingual projects can also be used if needed.

Check for dam:sha1 property- should be same for all assets, signifying a binaryless translation. 

Level 1

This is super helpful. Thank you! Any idea on the differences between 6.5 and Cloud? Would this still be the recommended solution for Cloud?

Community Advisor

@AndrewBi2 I haven't tried that personally, but you can raise an Adobe support ticket, specifically for cloud to get more info.