Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Comparing Repositories for Installed Packages/Software

Level 4

I am rebuilding the author repository from scratch using our hot backup.

I am using crx2oak-1.10.0-all-in-one.jar to migrate content to a newly setup 6.5 instance.

Migrations are ongoing and successful.

The process includes migrating all the packages from the hot backup into the new instance.

I am identifying packages which need to be installed in the new instance.

However, how can I confidently identify which packages are actually installed in the current instance to install them in the new instance? Is the status for a package of "installed" reliable?

And here is the more concerning aspect, what if a package is installed but has been deleted from the repository. How do you identify packages like that? I would prefer to focus on solving this question.

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

How are you installing the packages? I believe the best way to validate the installation afterward is by capturing a record of the activity that occurs during the package installation process. Consider the following options:

1. Install the packages using CURL: This method provides an output (log) of the operation status. It's similar to what you would see via the PackageManager UI but provides a recorded log that can be reviewed later. You can find more information about this approach here: CURL Package Management

2. Add a custom log for org.apache.jackrabbit.vault.packaging.impl.ActivityLog: This approach also captures the activity that occurs during package installation, allowing you to monitor and review the process.

By capturing information about the installation process as suggested above, you can effectively track packages and their activities. This approach will help you avoid concerns related to packages being installed and subsequently removed. If you don't implement such monitoring, it may be challenging to determine if a package was installed and then deleted using out-of-the-box (OOTB) methods.

Also, if grab those logs,  you could use this tool to validate what was deleted: https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/kb/tools/activity-log-analyzer.html

Hope this helps.

Esteban Bustamante

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

How are you installing the packages? I believe the best way to validate the installation afterward is by capturing a record of the activity that occurs during the package installation process. Consider the following options:

1. Install the packages using CURL: This method provides an output (log) of the operation status. It's similar to what you would see via the PackageManager UI but provides a recorded log that can be reviewed later. You can find more information about this approach here: CURL Package Management

2. Add a custom log for org.apache.jackrabbit.vault.packaging.impl.ActivityLog: This approach also captures the activity that occurs during package installation, allowing you to monitor and review the process.

By capturing information about the installation process as suggested above, you can effectively track packages and their activities. This approach will help you avoid concerns related to packages being installed and subsequently removed. If you don't implement such monitoring, it may be challenging to determine if a package was installed and then deleted using out-of-the-box (OOTB) methods.

Also, if grab those logs,  you could use this tool to validate what was deleted: https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/kb/tools/activity-log-analyzer.html

Hope this helps.

Esteban Bustamante