Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Assets Bulk Import updates folder path and Asset name - metadata path mismatch

Level 4

Hi Team,

We migrated assets from Microsoft azure to AEM as a cloud instance using the bulk import feature. The assets are populated in AEM but the folder structure and asset names are modified by AEM in processing while upload. Apart from the general rules such as replacing special character and space with encoding and underscore, there are a lot of additional manipulation which we are not able to generalize. For eg. path of the azure asset "version_sent_to_abc_with_stamp" is converted in AEM as "version_sent_toabcwithdate_stamp". The problem with this modification is that the metadata import for assets is reporting failure (Failed to import metadata. Error[Asset not found]) wherever there is mismatch in asset path and name and we have to manually correct these paths in our metadata sheet before using the metadata import.

Is there any solution to handle this or automated way to correct the asset paths as we are dealing with very high number of assets?

Thanks,

Manpreet

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Adobe Champion

I would need more sample data (i.e. actual paths vs "transformed" paths) to provide a more elaborate answer.

It could be the case that asset names have invalid/special chars, so AEM adjusts as necessary to use valid names (and ensuring the CSV is in valid format).

By the way, would the asset importer maybe solve the issue in your case? https://adobe-consulting-services.github.io/acs-aem-tools/features/csv-asset-importer/index.html

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Community Advisor

This is what you can try:

1. Upload assets to AEM (already done in your case).

2. Do a bulk metadata export of the root folder containing all the assets. Process described here:  https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-64/assets/administer/metadata-import-expo... 

3. This will generate a CSV file containing the "assetpath" column. 

4. Work in excel file to correct the metadata of your assets and re-upload the file to import metadata and correct the gaps (process available in point 2).

5. Publish the assets.

Level 4

Thanks for your response.

We are actually following this approach already. But the challenge is that because we have extremely high number of assets, this manual activity of correcting paths is taking a long time and effort. I am looking at any automation or any suggestion which can expediate this process for us. 

Adobe Champion

I understand the hassle, I have encountered similar issues in the past. Back then I used some simple python scripting to quickly adjust the CSV contents to the required values. It should only take a couple of hours and it really pays off in the end, especially considering your large amount of assets.

Level 4

Thanks for your response Kimon!

Is there any logic according to which AEM manipulates the paths which we can incorporate in script or maybe directly in excel?

As I mentioned, we observed that AEM modified the paths in not so generic fashion. We could identify easy ones like replacing " " with "_" but the problem occurred mostly at the 3rd or 4th level of path hierarchy inside the asset folder. Sometimes the space was removed completely and appended together for example "version_sent_to_abc_with_stamp" is converted in AEM as "version_sent_toabcwithdate_stamp".

Regards,

Manpreet

Correct answer by
Adobe Champion

I would need more sample data (i.e. actual paths vs "transformed" paths) to provide a more elaborate answer.

It could be the case that asset names have invalid/special chars, so AEM adjusts as necessary to use valid names (and ensuring the CSV is in valid format).

By the way, would the asset importer maybe solve the issue in your case? https://adobe-consulting-services.github.io/acs-aem-tools/features/csv-asset-importer/index.html

Administrator

@kimonp Good to see you back inside the AEM Community. Keep the great work of assisting others going. Looking forward to more contributions from you.

Kautuk Sahni