Expand my Community achievements bar.

We are excited to introduce our latest innovation to enhance the Adobe Campaign user experience — the Adobe Campaign v8 Web User Interface!
SOLVED

Splitting up a large workflow using External Signal

Level 3

Hi,

I have a large complicated workflow which runs at the end of each campaign which summarises findings and then emails this to stakeholders.

Ideally I want to split this into two parts, the simply delivery part and the complicated summarisation part. The simple part will allow the operators to select their data and delivery templates and send the email. The complicated part does a ton of analysis work and delivers some files. The operators should never touch any of the complicated part.

I was thinking to put a signal at the end of the simple part which after X amount of time will trigger the complicated part, passing through the required variables to enable it to determine the campaign it needs to analyse and deliver the automated reports for.

How best to do this? I looked at signals and I think this is the best way, however I'm unsure of exactly how to trigger a signal from a workflow. 

Appreciate your input!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Alistair,

Signal seems to best suit your requirement. 

Each signal activity has an internal name and this is something which helps trigger the signal.

So at the end of simple part you can put a JS code activity.

Use the following code

xtk.workflow.PostEvent('Identifier or internal name of the workflow which contains signal activity', 'The name of the activity from which the event starts', 'The name of the transition to activate. If this name is empty, the event will be issued on the first valid transition', 'The parameters of the event in the form of an XML element. The name of the element must be variables.', 0)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Vipul

View solution in original post

22 Replies

Level 3

Hi Vipul

I have an extra question about the external signal activity.

Does it pass along the temp schema data as well?

For example:

In the main workflow:

1) start activity

2) query to select all recipients with language EN

3) js activity to initiate call for the external signal

In the flow with external signal

1) the external signal is triggered by the main workflow

2) add a split activity to divide target from main workflow into 2 groups

For me this isn't working as it seems that it doesn't know the temp schema from the main workflow.

Is there a way around?

I also tried this using a sub-workflow with an input transition of nms:recipients but the output of the sub-workflow isn't returning the schema as expected and is throwing errors. So I'm not sure if that is a better alternative.

Thank you for the information!

Kind regards

Leonie

Employee Advisor

Hi LeonieSwart,

You will not be able to pass temp schema reference by an external signal.

The only option is to make use of sub-workflow.

Worth starting a new thread for your issue row work with Adobe Support

Regards,
Vipul