Expand my Community achievements bar.

We are excited to introduce our latest innovation to enhance the Adobe Campaign user experience — the Adobe Campaign v8 Web User Interface!
SOLVED

Special Characters in From Name

Level 2

We are running in to an issue where special characters in the From Name (not email address) are being encoded when sent and cannot find a workaround to meet requirements.

For example, the From Name could be Product & Technology, however in email boxes it shows as Product & Technology. Is there a specific way to set the From Name to utilize a special characters without encoding them when sent? We would have assumed this is a text field the way it is in other platforms.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 9

@jchapman-CC-82 

what you can do is, after you have entered the from name and saved the message, click on use the legacy editor and remove the &amp from the from (name) field and save/confirm the changes.

the proofs delivered after this change should render the from name correctly.

let me know if this is helpful.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Employee Advisor

Where do you set the From Name?

In the branding config or on the delivery itself?

We have attempted it in the Brand config and in the delivery both. In either case, it's the same outcome.

Level 9

@jchapman-CC-82 

I am able to get the From name displayed correctly in my email.

steps:

from administration-Instance Settings-branding

edit the Brand configuration, type Product & Technology in the sender name, brand name and reply to fields.

sent an email using that brand.

I have attached the email received.

from_Untitled.png

Note: if you are copy pasting the from name, I would recommend typing it manually.

let me know if this helps.

Level 2

@mmbb110 - Only partially.

You are correct, that it seems to come through just fine when it is set in the Brand Configuration. However, it's still not working when typed in to the "From: Name" field on the email delivery itself.

To test this, first I double checked the Brand Configuration to ensure the & was entered there:

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 06.34.23.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 06.34.31.png

Then I checked the delivery to ensure it was pulling all of the default information:

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 06.35.49.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 06.38.57.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 06.39.22.png

The email came through just fine:

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 06.41.32.png

Next, I went back in to the delivery and typed the name in the From: Name field instead of using the default:

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 06.42.01.png

This time, the & is not coming through correctly:

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 06.42.38.png

Level 9

@jchapman-CC-82 

The issue is with the email client, for example in Outlook the special characters are not rendering correctly but if you test the from name in Gmail it renders fine.

I tested and it works fine in Gmail.

Level 2

@mmbb110 - I could see that being the case, especially with the oddities of Microsoft Outlook. However, as noted above, it renders correctly if the special characters are entered on the Brand configuration and "Default Sender Name" is used on the email. The issue only occurs when a From Name is typed directly on to the delivery form itself. To me, that means there is different encoding being utilized in Brand Configuration than is being used in the From Name field on the delivery itself. 

Has anyone had any luck figuring out what the encoding difference is between the two to try to work around this issue?

Level 9

@jchapman-CC-82

Does it render incorrectly when you deploy live email vs proof?

Just curious to know if you have tried that.

Level 2
Unfortunately, same exact result. Using the default sender name via Brand Config, it displays correctly. Using the From: Name field on the delivery itself, it does not.

Correct answer by
Level 9

@jchapman-CC-82 

what you can do is, after you have entered the from name and saved the message, click on use the legacy editor and remove the &amp from the from (name) field and save/confirm the changes.

the proofs delivered after this change should render the from name correctly.

let me know if this is helpful.