Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcing the launch of new sub-community for Campaign Web UI to cater specifically to the needs of Campaign Web UI users!
SOLVED

upgrade AC classic On premise

Level 2

Hello Folks,

We want to upgrade AC classic which is on premise, Do you recommend in-place upgrade vs new install?
Is there a decent success rate with in-place upgrades?
I am not sure that will work since its old version. I am aware it will include multiple upgrade path - What would be the exact upgrade path?

A new install would be installing the latest build on a fresh server then 1) pointing to the old database and copying config xml file or 2) copying the database objects from the previous version to the new? option 2 is possible? which one is safe to assume?

Current version - Release 6.1.1 build 8890
Latest version - Release 7.2.2 - Build 9349

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Abhilash,

Both options are fine, either the build upgrade on existing instance or the New Install.

For the New Installation, there can be issues sometimes when we point to the Old Database, like Images are not loaded properly in emails, but that too depends instance to instance. 

Opt for New Installation if you are trying to completely create a new instance from scratch and then migrate all the entities from Previous to New Environment. 

Otherwise, go for build upgrade, they are safe and don't really cause issues. 

Don't forget to take the Backup before proceeding.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Abhilash,

Both options are fine, either the build upgrade on existing instance or the New Install.

For the New Installation, there can be issues sometimes when we point to the Old Database, like Images are not loaded properly in emails, but that too depends instance to instance. 

Opt for New Installation if you are trying to completely create a new instance from scratch and then migrate all the entities from Previous to New Environment. 

Otherwise, go for build upgrade, they are safe and don't really cause issues. 

Don't forget to take the Backup before proceeding.

Employee Advisor

Hello,

that can be a very complex topic. I think I would always go for "in-place" upgrade installation (basically just installing on your servers, replacing the current install and then postupgrade). But obviously it depends on your environment. If you your server's will be replaces any time soon you might want to go for a fresh install on new servers.

Anyways there is a good documentation here: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/campaign-classic/using/monitoring-campaign-classic/updating-...

Best regards, Tobias