Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Tracking Email users in DMP

Level 2

Hi Team,

I am trying to add users into a trait when they open our email newsletters in the DMP. However, the challenge here is that, email is a non java-script environment and I'm restricted to only using image version of the pixels in the email newsletters. As there is no java-script I suspect there is no cookie that is placed or verified and thereby I suspect that this approach is tracking no one. Can you please correct me if I am wrong and if I've misunderstood how the pixels work?

Also, is there any other way I can use to get users into the DMP from the non java-script environment like email platforms?

Best,
Akshat

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hello akshatganja​,

In the given scenario, turn of events should be as follow:

1. Users click on the link mentioned in the email campaign.

2. Above action will make an declaredID call to AAM and get one UUID assigned to the given customerID.

3. Capture those customerIds who have clicked on the email campaign(this is upto you  how you want to achieve this).

4. Now upload data for those users only who have clicked on the email campaign.

This way you will get assiciation of UUID to customerID and while uploading data, just provide the customerID used in the declaredID call and data will be binded to customerID.

I hope this answers you query. Please feel free to revert with any doubt which you might have.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Employee Advisor

Hello Akshat,

I understand that you want to send data to AAM via img click from the email newletters.

You may want to re-check on the pixels/declaredId calls. For AAM to capture one particular user, we need to have either AAMID or CustomerID, so if you can pass customerID(hased or as required) along with a datasourceID then you can utilize declaredID calls.

You can use d_cid parameter or d_cid_ic parameter depending upon the need and create a call similar to below:

http://domain name/event?d_cid=123%01987&Key-value-pairs

In above example: 123 is the integration code of datasource and 987 is the customerID

OR

http://domain name/event?d_cid=123%01987%011&Key-value-pairs

In above example: 123 is the integration code of datasource, 987 is the customerID and 1 at the end is the Authentication State Identifier.

Note: %01 is encoded form of colon (:) and is required in declaredID calls.

You can embed these pixels in img so that they can fire on the click of these images.

Apart from these, you may want to check on the Media Pixels if they solves the purpose. Please check this link for more information.

I hope this helps, please let me know for any additional question.

Level 2

Hi Asodhi,

Thanks for sharing this information. When I think of going this way the only potential issue I see is, how do I associate the online activity of these users to their respective customer IDs. As Adobe uses a cookie to identify a user's online presence / activity with this solution we wouldn't be able to associate that activity to these users as they are defined based on customer ID that doesn't have an online presence.

Is there any way we can sync up the cookies of the users to these customer IDs?

Employee Advisor

Thank akshatganja​ for writing us back.

I understand your concern with respect to device level activity and I am happy to highlight this great thing of AAM i.e. with these declaredID calls, AAM will create on UUID automatically and align it with customer present in d_cid_ic parameter.

Here, you need to create Profile Merge Rules which uses only Authenticated Profile option without device profile so that everything gets written to CustomerID and not device, by this I mean, trait and segment qualifications will be associated to CustomerID only.

I hope this helps, please let me know for any additional question.

Level 2

Thanks ASodhi-AAM​. Just a followup question. The user needs to be in an authenticated state for this to work across the devices right ? Also, is there a way to implement this solution without having the user authenticate on the different devices.

What I am trying to achieve is the merge user data from online and offline worlds without using an authenticated state or a cookie ( as emails cannot use cookies). Is there a way to achieve this?

Best,

Akshat

Employee Advisor

Hello akshatganja​,

Your understanding is correct, users needs to be in Authenticated state only.

If you are going to target users based on customerID then you need not worry about which device given user users, you should be able target user with desired experience as all qualifications are residing at CustomeID level.

You can merge data with above mentioned way as all online interaction will be tracked at CustomerID level and while onboarding data you can pass CustomerID with set of key-value pairs which will be merged by AAM.

Due to no role of device and everything written at CustomerID level, users shall see only specific experiences based on the segment qualifications done via online and offline channels.

Please let me know for any additional question on the given matter.

Level 2

Thanks for the explanation ASodhi-AAM​. How would we be assigning the customer IDs to users in the offline CRM? I mean with the customer ID all of the user's online activity is stored under a single identifier, I am clear on this part. However, what I am unclear on is how do we assign this ID to the users in the offline CRM.

For example, we know that a user with customer ID 123 visited the home page and then logged into the app and visited the sale section. However, how do we know who this customer with ID 123 is in our offline CRM data base ?

I hope this makes sense.

Best,

Akshat

Employee Advisor

You can upload the CRM data to Audience Manager via a feed file. Check this - Inbound Customer Data Ingestion FAQ

Level 2

Thanks for the idea kunal23​ . This inbound data ingestion is used to upload cookie sync files where we already have cookies for a specific set of users. However, in my case the CRM data that I have only has offline buyer information and no cookie component in it. That is the reason I was looking to see if there were alternative solutions of on-boarding users from the CRM using any other data point except cookie as I do not have cookies as part of the CRM data.

Can you think of any other data point I could use?

Best,

Akshat

Employee Advisor

You should have enabled stitching of customer IDs and visitor Id's on your website. If sync is enabled then AAM should be able to ingest the offline users via feed file and associate them with the traits etc. See this - https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2353762

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hello akshatganja​,

In the given scenario, turn of events should be as follow:

1. Users click on the link mentioned in the email campaign.

2. Above action will make an declaredID call to AAM and get one UUID assigned to the given customerID.

3. Capture those customerIds who have clicked on the email campaign(this is upto you  how you want to achieve this).

4. Now upload data for those users only who have clicked on the email campaign.

This way you will get assiciation of UUID to customerID and while uploading data, just provide the customerID used in the declaredID call and data will be binded to customerID.

I hope this answers you query. Please feel free to revert with any doubt which you might have.

Level 2

Thanks, ASodhi-AAM​. This is helpful. However, following this method we would loose all the users who haven't clicked through on the email campaign right?

Best,

Akshat

Employee Advisor

Hey akshatganja​,

Unfortunately, yes. We need UUID-CustomerID association in order to get data for a given customerID into AAM.

Level 2

Gotcha! Thanks for all the help, ASodhi-AAM​. This was all informative.

Best,
Akshat