Expand my Community achievements bar.

Profile Merge Rules for onboarded traits

Level 3

Hello,

Curious what the recommended profile merge rule configuration is in order to share a segment comprised of only on-boarded traits to a server to server destination? Would this change if we wanted to deliver the segment to Adobe Target via the ID service/people core services?

All the traits are ingested into AAM via Natural Match, which is keyed off a customer ID, and we have an id sync for that customer ID on authentication onsite. Additionally, we are not passing the authentication state in the ID sync.

Thanks!

3 Replies

Employee Advisor

Hello caseyo84500701​,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Data share via S2S destination doesn't depend upon the PMR or Customer ID sync but it is dependent upon the ID sync with 3rd Party.

PMR comes into picture only within AAM and that depends upon the type of porfiles which you would like to target.

As you have mentioned that traits are realized based on the ingested data and Customer ID sync is enabled, I assume that you are targeting users in their Authenticated profiles. So, in this case you should have Last Auth + Profile Link Device Graph option selected for cross-device targeting.

Also, in case of data share with Adobe Target, please note that Experience Cloud ID Service is mandatory. This is required with or without customerID sync.

In regards to the 3rd Party data share, PMR or CustomerID sync has no role. 3rd Party Id sync, which are controlled/enabled by AAM, are required and referred to, while sending data to 3rd Party data partners.

I hope this helps, please let me know for any additional question on the given matter.

Level 3

Hi ASodhi-AAM​ -

Thanks for the response, and sorry for my delayed reply..

There is no 3rd party data in this use case, so I don't understand why there is a 3rd party ID sync dependency? This segment share is just to Adobe Target, which utilizes the ECID.

We are targeting profiles when they have authenticated; however, the customer's authentication state is not included in the ID sync. So I'm also confused on how the last authenticated profile PMR would even function.

Level 9

Hi there,

In order for Profile Merge rules to work, the auth state should be passed. The authenticated state (logged in) is mandatory if you want to target current authenticated or last authenticated visitors.

If you specifically want to suppress those visitors who have logged out, then you should use the logged out state in Visitor ID service implementation, upon user's logged out activity/time out.

Since you are using segments in Adobe Target, then there is no need to bother about the 3rd party ID syncs.

If you only wanted to target users within their logged in state, I would recommend 2 variations of Profile Merge rules, where the cross device data source should be checked, which should also be linked to your onboarded traits:

1. Current Auth + Profile Link device graph: If you want to target users only in their logged in state when they log in. This requires logged out state to be passed in Vis ID call. This will instantly qualify or disqualify linked devices even if they are not logged in.

2. Current Auth + Current device: Similar to point 2, but it does not disqualify or qualify other linked devices instantly. It lets you select upto 3 data sources in the Profile Merge rule.

Optional (recommended):

3. Last Auth + Profile Link device graph: (for maximum reach) This will target all the linked devices (upto 4) of a visitor, even if they log in on one of their devices. Linked devices will be unrealized or realized for the segments instantly in this case.

Thanks,

Varun Kalra