Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

aam_uuid cookie description for policy page

Level 1

Hi,

I'm looking for the following information for our cookie policy page specific for the aam_uuid cookie:

• Publisher (host)
  • Cookie name
  • First/Third Party Cookie
  • Description
  • Validity

Here's an example:

Publisher (host): demdex.net

Cookie name: demdex

First/Third Party Cookie: Third

Description: This cookie is stored by Adobe on the visitor's browser to assign website visitors a unique Adobe ID, which then allows the Adobe services we use to perform basic functions such as visitor identification, ID synchronization, segmentation, modeling and reporting . The cookie contains a unique identifier assigned by Adobe. This allows Adobe to recognize the visitor's browser and device. By analyzing visitor behavior, we can improve our digital offering and show visitors information, functions and advertising that match their interests.

Validity: 180 days

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

That cookie is very optional and set by Javascript (DIL code or the AudienceManagement Module, whichever you're using for your implementation). The domain is whatever domain the code is running on and duration is also dependent upon code settings of your implementation. It's also a copy of the ID that's in the demdex cookie. As such, the best answer I can give you is something like this:

Publisher (host): <whatever your domain(s) is (are)>

Cookie name: aam_uuid

First/Third Party Cookie: First

Description: This cookie is set by Adobe code on the visitor's browser and is a copy of the ID found in the 3rd party demdex cookie. The cookie contains a unique identifier assigned by Adobe.

Validity: <however many days you put in your implementation> days

Now, that description is pretty vague and simple because Adobe doesn't actually use that cookie for anything. It's typically used by customers who want a copy of the ID that's in the demdex cookie for whatever reason. So the purpose is going to come down to whatever you are using it for. 

Does that help at all?

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

That cookie is very optional and set by Javascript (DIL code or the AudienceManagement Module, whichever you're using for your implementation). The domain is whatever domain the code is running on and duration is also dependent upon code settings of your implementation. It's also a copy of the ID that's in the demdex cookie. As such, the best answer I can give you is something like this:

Publisher (host): <whatever your domain(s) is (are)>

Cookie name: aam_uuid

First/Third Party Cookie: First

Description: This cookie is set by Adobe code on the visitor's browser and is a copy of the ID found in the 3rd party demdex cookie. The cookie contains a unique identifier assigned by Adobe.

Validity: <however many days you put in your implementation> days

Now, that description is pretty vague and simple because Adobe doesn't actually use that cookie for anything. It's typically used by customers who want a copy of the ID that's in the demdex cookie for whatever reason. So the purpose is going to come down to whatever you are using it for. 

Does that help at all?

Level 1

Thank you so much for your reply!

We're not sure what it's used for. Can you say what the purpose might be or what it's usually used for?

Employee

As a general rule, anyone who had Adobe Consulting help them deploy their AAM code is probably setting this cookie simply because it would come in handy later down the road, so it's in the standard deployment configs. So it is quite possible that it was deployed in your implementation without a specific use case in mind. The use cases where it was used were for a variety of things. Since the demdex cookie is set in a 3rd party domain (demdex.net), there's just no way to read it using JavaScript on the page, so we made putting it in a first part cookie an option just so developers could get to it for whatever reason. Often they were troubleshooting scenarios. Sometimes it was for ID exchanges/syncs with other data providers (outside of the standard ID syncing done by ID service for AAM). I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of right now, but yeah. those were the two common ones I've seen. If you aren't using it for some reason, perhaps it would just be simpler to remove it rather than try to account for it in your policies. 

Level 2

Since Adobe doesn't actually use the aam_did cookie for anything, I am trying to understand how I can prevent it from being created.

I have Server-Side Forwarding enabled on my Adobe Analytics report suites, so that Analytics data is forwarded to Adobe Audience Manager.

Joe_Y_1_2-1678731048478.png

Additionally, I am using the Adobe Analytics extension for Adobe Launch, and I have configured it to share the Analytics Data with Audience Manager.

Joe_Y_1_3-1678731186896.png

With this setup, Adobe Launch includes the AppMeasurement_Module_AudienceManagement.min.js file on my website. It appears that file contains the code that creates the aam_did cookie.

Joe_Y_1_1-1678730537330.png

How can I configure things, so that the aam_did cookie doesn't get created?

Employee

The aam_did is only the default name if you don't have another name specified. In the Analytics extension that you referenced above, check the box 'Show advance settings' under the Adobe audience Manager section and see if you have any settings in the Days, Domain, or Path setting. As I understand it, if you don't have anything in those settings, then it shouldn't be dropping the cookie at all. If sounds like maybe someone set the path or domain variable, but not a name, so it's defaulting to the aam_did name. Can you confirm that the aam_did cookie is dropping at all or are you concerned only because you're seeing it in the code?

Level 2

Thanks for the feedback. It turned out that the Days field was populated with a value of 30. I'm not sure why or how it got populated, but once I removed the value from the field, the aam_did cookie stopped dropping, which was my goal.

Thanks again!