Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Whysnap chat is not treated as social network in referrer type report??

Level 4

Hi Team,

I understand that adobe has the list of social network where it should be treated. I am just still wondering why does the snap chat is not yet treated as social network in referrer type. As all of our campaign data from snap chat is flowing in to typed/bookmarked type where it is not actual collection of data.  

Please let me know your inputs.

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/analytics/kb/list-social-networks.html

Thank you,

Jay.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

The Referrer type, including Social Network, depends on the data passed in the document.referrer by the browser. A browser sets this document.referrer only when it had opened the current web page by following a previous web page.

Snapchat is an app. When you click a link in Snapchat, you're opening a link in an app, which your web browser then loads. To the web browser, there was no previous web page before that. So the browser doesn't set anything in its document.referrer, and so AA does not track any Referrer type, and so the Snapchat source is tracked under Typed/Bookmarked.

This is very important to remember: the Referrer type depends on the browser being able to set its document.referrer, which depends on there having been a previous web page. The same behaviour arises when following links from any app to a web page, e.g. links from email, WhatsApp, even Twitter links if they are clicked on in the Twitter app, etc.

In general, you should always add a campaign tracking code to your links that belong to campaigns and that you want to identify in your AA reports explicitly.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

The Referrer type, including Social Network, depends on the data passed in the document.referrer by the browser. A browser sets this document.referrer only when it had opened the current web page by following a previous web page.

Snapchat is an app. When you click a link in Snapchat, you're opening a link in an app, which your web browser then loads. To the web browser, there was no previous web page before that. So the browser doesn't set anything in its document.referrer, and so AA does not track any Referrer type, and so the Snapchat source is tracked under Typed/Bookmarked.

This is very important to remember: the Referrer type depends on the browser being able to set its document.referrer, which depends on there having been a previous web page. The same behaviour arises when following links from any app to a web page, e.g. links from email, WhatsApp, even Twitter links if they are clicked on in the Twitter app, etc.

In general, you should always add a campaign tracking code to your links that belong to campaigns and that you want to identify in your AA reports explicitly.

Community Advisor

Dear Jay,

No doubt that Snap Chat should be in Adobe's Social Network List. Raise a request to Adobe Support or raise this as a suggestion in Adobe Analytics Forum.

If you think that the data is capturing under typed/bookmarked then you should go through my blog to get the in-depth knowledge: Digital Analytics: Direct or Typed/Bookmarked

Thank You, Arun.