Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Why "entry page" cannot match "hit depth = 1"

Level 8
Level 8

Hit Depth

From this content, I understand the 1st page visitor viewed, should be the entry page.

But when I create segment for "organic search", it seems not.

Some pages listed in "Entry Page" with very big volume, but they are not in "hit depth = 1".

Please help to clarify and correct my understanding.

Thank you.

H

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Entry page is a visit-level dimension. From a backend table perspective, the entry page column persists through the whole visit.

When you make an entry page segment, that's bringing in whole visits where entry page = x. When you make a hit depth segment, that's only bringing in the very first hit of each visit. There should be no comparison between these two items, because they are not closely related to each other at all.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Employee Advisor

The thing to remember is that not all server calls increase page views and have pagename. Hit depth includes s.t() and s.tl() calls.

If for some reason, your site generates an custom link call before a page view, then the entry page will not be having hit depth of 1.

Level 8
Level 8

That sounds reasonable, but the top 3 "entry page" listed are "home page", "sales index", "event index" which are reasonable, the top 3 "pages which hit depth =1" are the very detailed content page about aftersales service.

So I got a little confused.

Employee Advisor

Could be something else entirely. I cannot say for sure with this level of insight. Maybe try breaking down to a single user and see the behavior.

Level 8
Level 8

Is it possible because that "Entry Page" will not apply the segment?

For example:

type URL and access Page A

then

Search & entry Page B, then click link & visit Page C

then even if I applied segment: from "Organic Search", Entry Page will also be Page A, but not Page B?

If so, then when I break down Hit Depth = 1, Page B will be the first page from "Organic Search" which match the reality.

For Reference: (I understand this is for "Entry Pages Report" ONLY, but just have above consideration after reading this.

Experience Cloud Help

1520546_pastedImage_1.png

Please advise.

Thank you.

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Entry page is a visit-level dimension. From a backend table perspective, the entry page column persists through the whole visit.

When you make an entry page segment, that's bringing in whole visits where entry page = x. When you make a hit depth segment, that's only bringing in the very first hit of each visit. There should be no comparison between these two items, because they are not closely related to each other at all.