Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

What's the difference between Entries, Visits, and Pageviews?

Level 1

Hi All,

I am kind of newly born in this Catalyst empire. I am so confused by the definition of those three parameters, as I see it's so different from what it means inside the Google Analytics (Kind of used to ...!).

So can please someone explain it to me with the spoon? 

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Rajesh,

Suppose you visit a website for the first time and browser to the pages A>B>C>D>E>F in that order. 

Since A is the first page you viewed when you entered the site, page A will get 1 entry added to its data. 

Your stay on the website is counted as 1 visit.

Since you viewed these 6 pages, each of these pages will get 1 pageview added to their data.

I hope this gives you a clarity. Thanks!

Tanmay

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Rajesh,

Suppose you visit a website for the first time and browser to the pages A>B>C>D>E>F in that order. 

Since A is the first page you viewed when you entered the site, page A will get 1 entry added to its data. 

Your stay on the website is counted as 1 visit.

Since you viewed these 6 pages, each of these pages will get 1 pageview added to their data.

I hope this gives you a clarity. Thanks!

Tanmay

Level 1

Thanks Tanmay.

Just one more clarification. So as per the above mentioned scenario all the pages from B>F will also record 1 visit but 0 Entries. Right?

Level 6

however to throw some water on this. if you create a visit or visitor segment and only pages C & D qualify then in that report C will get the entry credit because that is the page where you entered the 'segment;' (think of reports without segmentation as being in the 'all pages (no segment)' segment.

so it's possible to conclude the numbers if you don't take everything into account.

Level 1

Another question so in the same scenario what if the user visits page c twice in the same session/visit . Will the page c has 2 visits and 2 page views ?

Level 2

If you have three pages, and they're viewed in the order:

A, B, C, A, C

You'll end up with:

PageVisitsPage ViewsEntriesExits
A1210
B1100
C1201

Hope that helps.

Level 1
in this example, is the number of unique visitors also 1 per page?

Level 1

Very well explained. Thank you so much