Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Way to know which evar/prop is used for tracking?

Level 8
Level 8

Besides contact Admin/Dev team or reading the variable map, is there anyway I can know which evar or prop is used for tracking specific dimension?

e.g.

We do track our user login type, but as a business user, I carefully checked the debugger or from Network Console, cannot find a evar/prop listed containing the value we want.

But from AA, I can see e.g. evar101 is used: User Type C101 (evar101): Premium User

Then why it is not displayed in debugger?

Is there any method to check any other "Hidden" evar/prop from debugger or any other way?

(I ask this is because of the communication gap with Dev team, looooong responding time)

Thank you.

H

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

I don't wish to jump to the conclusion that the tag is not well implemented.

But perhaps it is being triggered on a different page, because that is the only page where User Tpe = Premium is available.

Then, thanks to the persistence of eVars (and this is highly dependent on how the eVar is configured) the 'Premium' value follows you around, so that you can run a report showing the number of Premium users logged in.

But like Arun said, User Type may also be set via other methods, such as Processing Rules, Data Sources, Vista Rules, or even Classifications. You could ask your architect for this information, or failing that, the original Solution Design (Plan B).

Plan C would be to find out if your analytics account has Web API access so you could try to produce your own Solution Design using the excellent ObservePoint Labs - G Suite Marketplace addon for Google Sheets.

Failing that, you could open the Search panel in Chrome Developer tools and look for 'evar101'

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Level 4

It could be that eVar101 is set on a different page than expected. And due to how the persistance of eVars can be configured, you may see it against pages where it was not directly set.

One way I have found to start working out where an eVar was set it to build a table in Adobe Workspace with custom link name or page in the left column, and the eVar instances metric, visits, and occurences along the top. (Tip, pick a short date range like Yesterday, or Last 7 days)

Custom Link NameUserType (C101) Instances Visits
Occurences
link name 102898
link name 2134134314
link name 306582

User Type (C101) Instances
PageUserType (C101) Instances Visits
Occurences
home page03166
dashboard page285513887
login page07299

The dummy tables above would lead me to check whether eVar101 is set on the Dashboard page, or on custom link name 2.

User Type (C101) Instances

Community Advisor

Dear H_L,

I can say three reasons:

Reason 1: The URL/condition validating is not correct.

To understand where the eVar101 is firing, create a segmentation with 'Hit' container equals the value you see in eVar101. It will show only the pages where the eVar101 has value. Try to load the page and see if you are able to see eVar101 in the debugger.

If you are using DTM or Launch, verify how eVar101 was implemented within the tools. That will give you a brief idea on where and on which condition eVar101 is firing if it is done at the tool level. Else, the only option is Processing Rules.

Reason 2: Check the Processing Rules.

There are chances that your Architect would have opted for Processing Rules to set eVar101 rather than firing at the pages. So, check Processing Rules.

Reason 3 : Data Source

If eVar101 was imported into Adobe Analytics using Data Source, you would not see the variables both at the page level or Processing Rules. Check with your Architect to understand the data import.

Aside, make sure that the above said name is not a Classification Variable Name.

Thank You!
Arun

Community Advisor

still love my "documentation 2.0", see here: https://adobe.ly/urs

this "addon" to your analytics implementation tracks the props/evars/events you have in a single server call.

for similar use cases such as written in the question, I could just search for my desired eVar, breakdown by page to see where it has been set. or breakdown by any other dimension which might affect my data collection

Level 8
Level 8

jorisdebeer,

thanks for your reply.

The problem is:

when I try myself, click "login" on page A, then log in, after the logged in page loading, I cannot even see any eVar is listed or fired in Debugger...

Does it mean, perhaps, the tag is not well implemented?

H

Level 8
Level 8

Hi Arun,

Thanks for your reply.

As I just replied to jorisdebeer,

Usually, no matter which page I am on, once I logged in from login page, the user type will be fired, isn't it?

H

Level 8
Level 8

Good day Ursboller,

I didn't know you are a so cool contributor

I will carefully read the article and try to understand.

Thank you.

H

Correct answer by
Level 4

I don't wish to jump to the conclusion that the tag is not well implemented.

But perhaps it is being triggered on a different page, because that is the only page where User Tpe = Premium is available.

Then, thanks to the persistence of eVars (and this is highly dependent on how the eVar is configured) the 'Premium' value follows you around, so that you can run a report showing the number of Premium users logged in.

But like Arun said, User Type may also be set via other methods, such as Processing Rules, Data Sources, Vista Rules, or even Classifications. You could ask your architect for this information, or failing that, the original Solution Design (Plan B).

Plan C would be to find out if your analytics account has Web API access so you could try to produce your own Solution Design using the excellent ObservePoint Labs - G Suite Marketplace addon for Google Sheets.

Failing that, you could open the Search panel in Chrome Developer tools and look for 'evar101'

Level 8
Level 8

I just followed the first of your reply, 0 is the only result.

1766093_pastedImage_0.png

1766094_pastedImage_1.png

I think I have to try the plan B and C ...

Your all inputs are appreciated!

H

Level 8
Level 8

jorisdebeer,

The Plan C DOES HELPFUL!!!

I can find

Which is not displayed in debugger.

I guess that's one of the way Arun mentioned to fire to AA.

Million Thanks.

H