Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Visitor Domain with value of "None"

Level 2

We are getting a lot of values of "none" in our visitor domains, around 23%. My understanding is that when the ISP does not provide the domain information Adobe Analytics will use the "none" value. We currently use a segment that excludes internal visitors by domain so if there are a large number of domains that are not identified we don't know whether they are from our servers or legitimate viisitors. Consequently we cannot exclude them using domain segments. Is there a way to reduce the frequency of "none" in our visitor domain fields?

One solution is to use the IP Exclusion feature to remove internal visitors however it is not always easy to find out which corporate IP addresses are being used since we have servers around the world and of course we would have to interact with our IT department. This solution will eliminate the internal visitors however our Marketing team would  like to know how many internal visitors also use the web pages so we would have to come up with another approach.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

I would have to agree that those pages do not answer my original question. I had already researched those pages with no satisfactory result. One solution that did come up was to use another provider (DemandBase) that used the IP address not only to identify the origin but to link that to a database with all of the corporate information. This could then be integrated with Adobe Analytics and provide a much greater level of domain identification beyond that one could get from AA. This solution is primarily for B2B which is our business so we are investigating that solution. 

I would still like to know why there is a large percentage of "none" for the domains but a much more complete list for the countries since they do appear to  extract the info from the same source - the IP address. I could guess but would like to have a more definitive answer. Thanks

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 2

I don't know why this question is set as solved considering it is taking an external mapping from non-Adobe sources. Additionally, we are having problems with the "domain = None", so it would be good to know why Adobe sets this for this report (which is not under our control).

Level 3

Hi Devinder,

That document doesn't answer the question at all.

Correct answer by
Level 2

I would have to agree that those pages do not answer my original question. I had already researched those pages with no satisfactory result. One solution that did come up was to use another provider (DemandBase) that used the IP address not only to identify the origin but to link that to a database with all of the corporate information. This could then be integrated with Adobe Analytics and provide a much greater level of domain identification beyond that one could get from AA. This solution is primarily for B2B which is our business so we are investigating that solution. 

I would still like to know why there is a large percentage of "none" for the domains but a much more complete list for the countries since they do appear to  extract the info from the same source - the IP address. I could guess but would like to have a more definitive answer. Thanks

Level 3

"None" may refer to internal network IP addresses a.k.a. private network addresses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

If people are accessing an internal version of the site through the organization's internal network (which I think might include VPN), the IP addresses can look like those in the Wikipedia article.  Because people's computers in many organizations can therefore all have the IP address 10.10.123.456, it can't be resolved to an organization or geo area and will appear as something like None or Undefined.  It's pretty common with intranets.

Just a thought.