Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.

Visit Number 0 ??

Level 3

Hey All!! Im back with another bizarre find from our data warehouse! 

Whats a Visit_num = 0 or a Visit_pagenumber = 0 ??

Finding millions of these starting early may 2022. Pretty sure its all Mobile App traffic from Android devices if that helps?

andrewz_webmd_0-1663273931260.png

3 Replies

Community Advisor

Check the hit_source

Indicates what source the hit came from. Hit sources 1, 2, and 6 are billed.
1: Standard image request without timestamp
2: Standard image request with timestamp
3: Live data source upload with timestamps
4: Not used
5: Generic data source upload
6: Full processing data source upload
7: TransactionID data source upload
8: No longer used; Previous versions of Adobe Advertising Cloud data sources
9: No longer used; Adobe Social summary metrics
10: Audience Manager server-side forwarding used

Also check it is not excluded hit using exclude_hit.

I would think some type of data stitching Activity map maybe or A4T or data source might not increment visit_num and visit_page_num

exclude_hit Flag indicating that the hit is excluded from reporting. The visit_num column is not incremented for excluded hits.
1: Not used. Part of a scrapped feature.
2: Not used. Part of a scrapped feature.
3: No longer used. User agent exclusion
4: Exclusion based on IP address
5: Vital hit info missing, such as page_url, pagename, page_event, or event_list
6: JavaScript did not correctly process hit
7: Account-specific exclusion, such as in a VISTA rules
8: Not used. Alternate account-specific exclusion.
9: Not used. Part of a scrapped feature.
10: Invalid currency code
11: Hit missing a timestamp on a timestamp-only report suite, or a hit contained a timestamp on a non-timestamp report suite
12: Not used. Part of a scrapped feature.
13: Not used. Part of a scrapped feature.
14: Target hit that did not match up with an Analytics hit
15: Not currently used.
16: Advertising Cloud hit that did not match up to an Analytics hit

Level 3

Hey @Alexis_Cazes_ 

Thanks for the info! I did a bit more digging as well so here is another screenshot with some findings.

Records on the top half are the "visit_num=0" records, bottom is valid records as expected.

andrewz_webmd_1-1663346543332.png

Hit Source = 1 in both sets

Exclude Hit = 0 in both sets

visid_type = 5 in both sets

Persistent Cookie is different

Connection Type is different

Ref Type are different

"post_t_time_info" which i believe is it "t" query parameter is missing from the impacted records on the top.

FYI this impact dropped out page views per visit by 2 across ALL versions of our Android app but did not impact any other mobile app.

Community Advisor

This may sound a bit strange.. but do you have lifecycle metrics enabled in your mobile app?

I don't know if that will result in these results, but I do know that the lifecycle metrics are tied to the mobile launches, first launches, days since last launch, etc... it's possible that the visit number for app uses these to calculate, and in their absence it results in 0?

The old SDK had lifecycle metrics enabled all the time... the new SDK puts the power in your developers hands to enable or not depending on what you need.... Even if you stated with this enabled... back in Nov or Dec last year, our developers updated something in our apps and broke lifecycle metrics.... Android was broken completely, and iOS stopped doing the pause lifecycle when the app was sent to the background (causing basically a 100% crash rate). 

This is certainly worth checking to see if this could be the cause?