Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Using Visit containers with the 'Then' operator

Level 3

Hi Everyone,

I'm struggling with a segment that uses the 'Then' operator.

I've built a segment called 'Browse Visit' to show me users who aren't using onsite search. On it's own this segment works fine and brings back reasonable data (see screenshot 1).

I now want to add a rule on the end that says 'Then item was added to the trolley' (Screenshot 2)

So the whole thing would be

User who browsed the site (and did not search)

Then

Added item to the trolley.

However, adding the 'then' operator stops my original segment from working, as it does not like the fact that I have a visit container within a visit segment.

Why is this fine for the basic segment, but as soon as I add the 'Then' operator it is invalid? And how can I get around this?

I need to have a visit container in the visit segment as my conditions 'Page views is greater than 1' and 'Onsite search does not exist' are at a visit level.

Hopefully this makes sense, the screenshots are from Adobe Analytics segment manager, the second segment with the 'Then' operator does not return any data. When viewing the segments in Ad Hoc Analysis an error appears saying 'Containers in sequence must be lower context than parent container' which I get, but why does it only show this error when the 'then' operator is added and not the original segment?

I've tried shifting things around and using a logic group instead of visit container but am still getting no data back.

Thanks,

Katie

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

Thanks Gigazelle. The problem is that the 'Pages greater than 1' is crucial as I want to see users who have browsed our site, excluding single access/bounce visits.

To do this I need to exclude users who searched. I also only want to include users who have visited specific areas of the site, but exclude single access visits as this does not constitute browsing behaviour.

Strangely, changing my container to a Hit level and then the rules within to Visit level allowed the segment to work. However this doesn't make sense to me as surely this is having a higher context rule within a lower context container?

I've attached a screenshot of the new segment that works.

Thanks,

Katie

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Employee Advisor

Hi Katie, this is a great question. Looking at your segment screenshots, it looks like it would work. The only thing that I see that could potentially fix the issue is the 'pages greater than 1' part of the segment. Having a 'then' operator already implies more than one page view - could you try removing the 'pages greater than 1' criteria? 

Correct answer by
Level 3

Thanks Gigazelle. The problem is that the 'Pages greater than 1' is crucial as I want to see users who have browsed our site, excluding single access/bounce visits.

To do this I need to exclude users who searched. I also only want to include users who have visited specific areas of the site, but exclude single access visits as this does not constitute browsing behaviour.

Strangely, changing my container to a Hit level and then the rules within to Visit level allowed the segment to work. However this doesn't make sense to me as surely this is having a higher context rule within a lower context container?

I've attached a screenshot of the new segment that works.

Thanks,

Katie