Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Unique Visitors and Visit are zero

Level 2

On a OnClick function, I’m sending eVar and event data (with prop).

1. How come the Unique Visitors and Visit are zero for the eVar / event in the Pages Report using the Break Down function?

Please see screen shot highlighed in red.

1. How come other data not associated with the page data (Step 2 from below) I select are showing up?

In the screen shot, noticed I selected “EBI Home” as the page data (Step 2 from below).  So I should except to see data that starts with “EBI Home” but other data are             showing up.

Please see screen shot highlighed in sky blue.

Here are the steps to view the Break Down report.

1. Go to Site Content > Pages.
  2. Select a page data (row).
  3. Click the Break Down icon.
  4. Select Custom Conversion and select the eVar (Link)

Link is the eVar I’m using and another Link for the event.

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Seung,

On point #1 the Custom Conversion link tracking you are setting has no reference to the page in question because the site content Page value 'EBI Home' value is set prior to your link tracking code firing occurrence. In other words there is no association as currently set in the implementation between the data elements of 'EBI Home' Page and eVar Link values.

On point #2 you can verify within the Admin Console Custom Conversion screenshot you have shown above. You can verify persistence settings by looking up the 'Expire After' column. For example for eVar 5 'Link' the current settings have the link set to persist only for a single hit. Therefore the link values will only ever bind to other data dimensions within that same hit in which the eVar 5 'Link' value is set in the image request.

On point #3 you already have a full breakdown selected as determined by the specific metrics you have brought into your report view.

Best,

Brian

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Employee

Hi Seung,

1.The reason why you are not seeing Visits & Visitors associated with your Custom Conversion Links eVar is because all Visits/Visitors to those page (2 UVs, 3 Visits) were not bound to any of the Link values in question. All the visits in the period on this breakdown fall into the 'None' bucket on line 11. I would recommend reviewing the persistence in the Admin Console settings of the Link Custom Conversion (eVar) in question and making sure in tests that the Link variable is set and will persist prior or within the same call as the site content page firing occurrence. Order of operations is critical for the tracking to work the way you intend here.

2.The reason why you are seeing other link values is because of the sitewide metrics you have pulled into your breakdown view. Therefore the report is pulling everything in for the whole period and is not restricted in any way.

Best,

Brian

Level 2

Thank you Brian for your kind assistance.

I am new to Adobe Analytics implementation.  I have some more questions.

1. “The reason why you are not seeing Visits & Visitors associated with your Custom Conversion Links eVar is because all Visits/Visitors to those page (2 UVs, 3 Visits) were not bound to any of the Link values in question.”

I don’t understand what you mean by “bound”?

Using EBI Home as the example, I set the following Adobe code right after the body tag.

s.pageName=document.title;

s.prop4=s.pageName + ' - prop4';

On each of the link, I have the following Adobe code in the “onclick” function.

onclick="s.linkTrackVars='prop4,eVar5,events';s.linkTrackEvents='event7';s.prop4='EBI Home:Left Nav - Aug 27 - prop4 eVar5 event7 - XXX - prop4 (Links)';s.eVar5='EBI Home:Left Nav - Aug 27 - prop4 eVar5 event7 - XXX - eVar5 (Link)';s.events='event7';s.tl(this, 'o', 'EBI Home:Left Nav - Aug 27 - prop4 eVar5 event7 - XXX - Custom Link');">EBI Home:Left Nav - Aug 27 - prop4 eVar5 event7 - XXX</a>

Where “XXX” is a text that uniquely identifies the link.

For example, using the original screen shot, for row 1, the onclick code is:

onclick="s.linkTrackVars='prop4,eVar5,events';s.linkTrackEvents='event7';s.prop4='EBI Home:Left Nav - Aug 27 - prop4 eVar5 event7 - Airplane Health Management 2 - prop4 (Links)';s.eVar5='EBI Home:Left Nav - Aug 27 - prop4 eVar5 event7 - Airplane Health Management 2 - eVar5 (Link)';s.events='event7';s.tl(this, 'o', 'EBI Home:Left Nav - Aug 27 - prop4 eVar5 event7 - Airplane Health Management 2 - Custom Link');">EBI Home:Left Nav - Aug 27 - prop4 eVar5 event7 - Airplane Health Management 2</a>

So I don’t know how to “bound” the EBI page to the links???

1. “I would recommend reviewing the persistence in the Admin Console settings of the Link Custom Conversion (eVar) in question and making sure in tests that the Link variable is set and will persist prior or within the same call as the site content page firing occurrence.”

How do I check the persistence of the eVars?

Please see screen shot for the eVars settings I have set in my Admin Console.

1. "The reason why you are seeing other link values is because of the sitewide metrics you have pulled into your breakdown view. Therefore the report is pulling everything in for the whole period and is not restricted in any way."

So how do I view the breakdowns for the selected Page?

Thank you again!!!

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Seung,

On point #1 the Custom Conversion link tracking you are setting has no reference to the page in question because the site content Page value 'EBI Home' value is set prior to your link tracking code firing occurrence. In other words there is no association as currently set in the implementation between the data elements of 'EBI Home' Page and eVar Link values.

On point #2 you can verify within the Admin Console Custom Conversion screenshot you have shown above. You can verify persistence settings by looking up the 'Expire After' column. For example for eVar 5 'Link' the current settings have the link set to persist only for a single hit. Therefore the link values will only ever bind to other data dimensions within that same hit in which the eVar 5 'Link' value is set in the image request.

On point #3 you already have a full breakdown selected as determined by the specific metrics you have brought into your report view.

Best,

Brian

Level 2

Hi Brian,

Regarding point # 1, I’m still unclear how to bound / associate eVar Link to a page.

In the EBI Home example, I set the s.pageName at the top of the html page.  Doesn’t this bound / associate the eVar Link to the page?

Or do I have to set the s.pageName on each of the onclick events?

Thanks,

Seung 

Employee

Hi Seung,

In the EBI Home example, I set the s.pageName at the top of the html page.  Doesn’t this bound / associate the eVar Link to the page?

>>>It does not bind to any eVar Link unless pageName is set after or same time as the Link value (also be mindful of expiration settings on the eVar).

Or do I have to set the s.pageName on each of the onclick events?

>>This approach will not work because pageName is not set on custom link calls.

I recommend reviewing the following blog posts for reference:

http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmarketing/analytics/custom-link-tracking-capturing-user-actions/

http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmarketing/analytics/conversion-variables-part-i/

Best,

Brian