Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Traffic difference Ad Hoc Analysis and Next Page Flow

Level 1

Hi,

We are seeing a difference in the traffic percentages between Ad Hoc Flow's report and Next Page Flow in Omniture.

We are trying to figure the amount of users landing in a page called "Form" departing from a page called "Home".

----------------------------------------------------------------

In Ad Hoc, departing from "Home" we get:

- Exited Site (55.19 %)

- Home (39.75 %)

- Form (2.38 %)

and so on...

----------------------------------------------------------------

In Omniture, departing from "Home" we get:

- Exited Site (94.95 %)

- Form (2.38 %)

and so on...

Our guess is that Ad Hoc processes a reload like a new entrance in the page while Omniture processes it as a page exit.

Is that correct?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

I dug up some info I had sent to me on this a few years ago, hence the use of Discover and not AdHoc

Q1: Why there is such a discrepancy between the page views between the two platforms?

A1: By default, Discover and SiteCatalyst track pathing very differently.  SiteCatalyst tracks a Path Instance (notice "Page Views" isn't used in SC 15) when a person moves between two different pageNames.  Discover, however, (by default) tracks the movement of pages when the next page name is the same, and also tracks when a page is the last page of a visit.  This option can be turned off.

Q2: Why in discover is the same page name showing  (In your example 39.75%) of the time after itself? 

A2: That's normal.  Every time a person either reloads a page or clicks on another item on the same page that might send a seperate page image request, then an instance of the same pages will be see in the Discover Page Flows report.

Configuration

To make Discover and SiteCat numbers line up, you can turn off the Count Repeat Instances option in Discover.  Simply look on the very bottom of Discover, and click on the option "Yes", and change it to "No" on the screen that comes up.  Doing so will make Discover pathing numbers line up with SiteCat.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 4

I dug up some info I had sent to me on this a few years ago, hence the use of Discover and not AdHoc

Q1: Why there is such a discrepancy between the page views between the two platforms?

A1: By default, Discover and SiteCatalyst track pathing very differently.  SiteCatalyst tracks a Path Instance (notice "Page Views" isn't used in SC 15) when a person moves between two different pageNames.  Discover, however, (by default) tracks the movement of pages when the next page name is the same, and also tracks when a page is the last page of a visit.  This option can be turned off.

Q2: Why in discover is the same page name showing  (In your example 39.75%) of the time after itself? 

A2: That's normal.  Every time a person either reloads a page or clicks on another item on the same page that might send a seperate page image request, then an instance of the same pages will be see in the Discover Page Flows report.

Configuration

To make Discover and SiteCat numbers line up, you can turn off the Count Repeat Instances option in Discover.  Simply look on the very bottom of Discover, and click on the option "Yes", and change it to "No" on the screen that comes up.  Doing so will make Discover pathing numbers line up with SiteCat.