Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

tracking the scroll depth

Community Advisor

Hi All, 

Need to track the scroll depth.

More particularly, we would like to know at which part of the scrollytelling the visitors currently are and how much time he/she spents at any particular part.

Ultimately, we want to understand the behavior of the users of this page.
Do you have any suggestions what events we could implement and what would make sense to track in order to fulfill the needs?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

If you're using Adobe Launch for your analytics implementation, take a look at the Time and Scroll Event extension.

yuhuisg_0-1653747824633.png

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Community Advisor

Just be aware that a solution that fires an Adobe Tracking call with scrolling will increase your server call usage significantly. While this will work, you should be sure that your current contract level can support the additional calls so that you don't end up with massive overage charges a the end of your billing cycle.

Level 2

Hi @Jennifer_Dungan , This is the problem we have with small pages. Too many server calls. Is there a better way to reduce the server calls Example to track it on the Next Page? ofcourse it comes with some limitations that if the current page is the Exit Page then the next page option won't work.

Community Advisor

The getPercentPageViewed plugin (as posted by Vani) tracks the "max % scrolled" on the next page view... (so it shouldn't inflate your server calls)...

But if your pages are small, you may get a dis-proportionate number of 100% scroll (since there was nothing to scroll, simply loading the page will constitute 100% scroll).

Basically, the getPercentPageViewed isn't so much of an in-depth "scroll tracking" (where you can see how much of the pages is being consumed, or being able to calculate a scroll velocity, since there the only thing you will get is the "Max" scroll depth, and also the last page of the site won't get the info either).

However, if you only need simple tracking, and know the context of where you will be missing data, this is the low cost solution.

For mobile apps, there is no such plugin, but you could replicate the behaviour with custom code...

Employee Advisor

@kamlesh-maddheshiya You can use getPercentPageViewed, The getPercentPageViewed plug-in measures a visitor’s scroll activity to see how much of a page they view before moving on to another page. 

Here is the documentation for your reference 

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/implementation/vars/plugins/getpercentpageviewed.h...

Level 2

How do we track the scroll depth for a mobile app?

Community Advisor

You will have to work with your developers to come up with a custom solution...

Look at what eVars and events you are using on web and the format of the data that is being sent....

You will need to have your developers calculate the size of the screen, and how far down the page the user scrolls.. then pass that info as a context variable on the next screen (that you can then map into your eVars).

Basically you need to replicate how you track on the web, and ideally set the same dimensions and metrics so that you can pull the report in the same way (segmenting for app vs web vs whatever)

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

If you're using Adobe Launch for your analytics implementation, take a look at the Time and Scroll Event extension.

yuhuisg_0-1653747824633.png

Community Advisor

My approach is tracking with the 'previous page', mostly due to the cost concern as mentioned by @Jennifer_Dungan. There are multiple page-based metrics I wish to track which could only be available after the page loaded and the initial page view beacon is already gone, such as the page loading speed and the max. scrolling depth.

I don't want to trigger additional tracking upon those events as they will increase the server calls out of control. So I still have rules on those evens but getting the data I wanted and storing them as a session item on the browser together with the name of the current page. Then user navigated to the next page, the page view tracking rule also checks the existence of those 'previous page' data and sends them to Adobe together with the page view.

There are two issues with this approach:

1. we can't track the same on the last page of the visit, as there is no next page to send the data.

2. users need to be educated to use the 'previous page' set of evars and events when doing the report.

Community Advisor

Yes, if you are want to use Adobe for this type of tracking, that's the best way to handle this so that you don't increase costs.

Unfortunately, this could cause challenges with the part of your reqs "how much time he/she spends at any particular part" as this falls into a in-depth analysis, which is tough to achieve with a "send all data on the next page"

This is definitely something that is tracked better with a "heartbeat" system over something like Adobe....

However, one thing you could consider is collecting scroll data into your own DB (along with some key data for stitching taken from your Adobe Data) and import it into Adobe? I've never tried this, but it might give the granularity needed, but be available in your Adobe System?

Here is an article about importing GA data (I know you won't be using GA for this), but step 4 (importing) should work for any data source: https://www.fullstackanalyst.io/blog/adobe-analytics/import-google-analytics-data-into-adobe-analyti...