Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.
SOLVED

Track scOpen only once when a product is added to cart

Community Advisor

Hi Team,

I was going through this https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-analytics-questions/how-to-track-scopen-in-ad...

In our website when a user starts adding the item to cart then a unique cartID is generated. This cartID remains same until the user makes a purchase. When the first product is added to cart then scOpen triggers, with consecutive product addition we do not trigger scOpen
A user if empties the cart and re-adds the product to cart then again on first product addition we trigger scOpen.

Now we want scOpen to be unique per cart. Shall we set "Unique Event Recording" column set to "Use Event Id", and pass some unique ID (we will derive that from cartId) and pass it to scOpen evertyime when a product is added to cart. Will it  ensure Adobe Analytics only record the event if it has never seen the associated event ID before ? All subsequent times Analytics sees that event ID, it will not increase the event counter.  ?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @ambikaTewari_ATCI,

Yes, using Event Serialization (i.e. "Use Event Id") allows you to pass a unique value to Adobe... only the first time they see that ID will the event be recorded, and subsequent uses will technically send, but will be ignored and not counted in the reports.

So if you were to pass "scOpen:123" and then "scOpen:123" again, only the first one will count. Now technically this is supposed to be for life (but that was also designed back before we had data retention policies... I would expect that once your data retention is hit, and the data truncated that "123" could in theory be used again.

Note that Event Ids are limited to 20 characters... I posted an idea about this last year that 20 characters is no longer enough... a lot of serialization needs to be done by GUIDs, which are much longer than 20...  so just be mindful when you are setting this up that you take the character limit into account.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @ambikaTewari_ATCI,

Yes, using Event Serialization (i.e. "Use Event Id") allows you to pass a unique value to Adobe... only the first time they see that ID will the event be recorded, and subsequent uses will technically send, but will be ignored and not counted in the reports.

So if you were to pass "scOpen:123" and then "scOpen:123" again, only the first one will count. Now technically this is supposed to be for life (but that was also designed back before we had data retention policies... I would expect that once your data retention is hit, and the data truncated that "123" could in theory be used again.

Note that Event Ids are limited to 20 characters... I posted an idea about this last year that 20 characters is no longer enough... a lot of serialization needs to be done by GUIDs, which are much longer than 20...  so just be mindful when you are setting this up that you take the character limit into account.

Community Advisor

Hi @Jennifer_Dungan  can two different events in the beacon have same eventID ?
Can I pass event1:1a2b3c and event2:1a2b3c in the same beacon?

I assume Analytics would count first hit of  event1 and event2 each. I hope it would not ignore event2 since event1 had same eventID?

Community Advisor

As far as I know, yes.. the event serialization should be unique to each event... I would test this to be sure if I were you, but I can't see any logical reason why event 1 and 2 cannot use the same serialization (for instance, I might want to use a users UUID to serialize their registration event and also their first purchase)