Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

The difference between Success Events and Conversion Variables in reporting

Level 4

Hello, I know this topic comes up and has been answered alot, but I've never seen it asked this way, so here goes: Can anyone explain why Success Events are better/preferred/recommended for tracking conversions than Conversion Variables? What are the limitations of *only* using Conversion Variables (Evars) for tracking a conversion?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 6

Matt,

Conversion Variables are really just dimensions, so they are not super useful without Success Events (metrics).  In case it helps, Success Events are NUMBERS or METRICS.  They tell you how often something (i.e. Orders, Internal Searches) happened.  Conversion Variables allow you to breakdown these metrics into buckets.

For example, a success event tells you how many Orders took place and a State Conversion Variable (like State) will tell you which State the Orders took place in...

Your key website KPI's should be in Success Events and the ways you want to slice and dice those should be in Conversion Variables...My book goes into a lot more detail...

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 6

Matt,

Conversion Variables are really just dimensions, so they are not super useful without Success Events (metrics).  In case it helps, Success Events are NUMBERS or METRICS.  They tell you how often something (i.e. Orders, Internal Searches) happened.  Conversion Variables allow you to breakdown these metrics into buckets.

For example, a success event tells you how many Orders took place and a State Conversion Variable (like State) will tell you which State the Orders took place in...

Your key website KPI's should be in Success Events and the ways you want to slice and dice those should be in Conversion Variables...My book goes into a lot more detail...

Level 4

Thanks Sumit, I'm currently reading and re-reading the book and I'll take a look at those blogs too. 

Adam, thanks for the clear explanation but what's bothering me is can't eVars be numbers (instances) too? Therefore, why is a Success Event better for tracking high value conversions?

Thanks!

Level 2

Adam Greco wrote...

Matt,

That's why I called you genius Sir Adam Greco. Your book is awesome. I read it :)

Level 2

Matt Lukoff wrote...

Hello, I know this topic comes up and has been answered alot, but I've never seen it asked this way, so here goes: Can anyone explain why Success Events are better/preferred/recommended for tracking conversions than Conversion Variables? What are the limitations of *only* using Conversion Variables (Evars) for tracking a conversion?

Important Question. Every new user will have this question. I would point you to read these blogs from my favorite Genious-- Sir Adam Greco  and am sure it will clear your doubts.. Conversion Variables Part I, Conversion Variables Part II and Conversion Success Events.

http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmarketing/analytics/conversion-variables-part-i/

http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmarketing/analytics/conversion-variables-part-ii/

http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmarketing/analytics/conversion-success-events/