Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Sequential Segmentation

Level 1

Hi All, 

I am trying to find if the visitors viewing 1st campaign (pages X and Y) also visited the next campaign ((page A and B) for the same business line. For this, I am creating a visitor level segment and putting the following condition :

Main Bucket - Visitor

Bucket 1 (Visit level) : Page Name = X or Page Name = Y 

THEN WITHIN 5 MONTHS

Bucket 2 (Visit Level) : Page Name = A or Page Name = B 

This segment should give me 0 visitors for the date range when 1st campaign was running as 2nd campaign has not been launched and hence visitors cannot visit the same. But I see visitors in the entire date range. Can you please help me understand the reason for the same ? 

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Ritika,

This is because of the way the Visitor container works. if the visitor gets included in your condition then the report takes in ALL the page views across ALL the visits for that visitor. In your example, if I visited the first campaign and then second campaign within 5 months, then all of my pageviews in the date range you are looking at will be included. This article explaining the differences in reporting may clear your doubt - https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/analytics/segment/seg_container_reports.html

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 10

Hi Ritica,

Welcome to the Analytics Community!

Was the second campaign launched within 5 months of the first campaign? If thats the case, if you are running the report for the date range of the first campaign but any visitor who has visited page A & B within the time frame of next 5 months will get included. 

Does that make sense?

Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the 2nd campaign was within 5 months of the 1st one. My understanding is that if a segment has 2 conditions joined by AND ( not OR), then why is the date range of 1st campaign showing any data? Is there some other logic for this? If this is true, then how is usage of OR and AND different.

Thanks,

Ritica

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Ritika,

This is because of the way the Visitor container works. if the visitor gets included in your condition then the report takes in ALL the page views across ALL the visits for that visitor. In your example, if I visited the first campaign and then second campaign within 5 months, then all of my pageviews in the date range you are looking at will be included. This article explaining the differences in reporting may clear your doubt - https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/analytics/segment/seg_container_reports.html

I hope this helps.