Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Segments showing incorrect data

Level 3

I created a very simple HIT based segment:

Site Name 3 (prop3) <> mdedge

Site Name 3 (prop3) <> fmc-mdedge

page starts with mdedge

andrewz_webmd_0-1672411922985.png

When i apply this segment to workspace and pull "page" into a freeform table i get only 1 row that matches and the rest do not

andrewz_webmd_1-1672412181561.png

This is such a simple segment that i'm not even sure where to look next. Any ideas?

Adding details: Adobe uses an ID for page name behind the scene. There used to be an occasional issue where an ID was reused. So the id would be mdedge but an old page name would show up in the report. The greater the volume in a variable, the more likely this would happen. Perhaps this is the same issue? @kainth @Jennifer_Dungan 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @andrewz_webmd you might be right, this might be a hash collision  (that page id you are talking about).... Your segment looks like it should work... being hit based and all...

The one thing you could try is checking one piece at a time....

As in, start with just your "page starts with mdedge" and see what is returned... you can also try breaking down the results by prop3 to see what values are recorded.

Then add in the next "Site Name 3 (prop3) <> mdedge" and see what values come back after that....

But IF there is a hash collision, I know that Client Care can force a refresh of the hashes to try and fix the issues.... but who knows if it will hold (based on how many pages you have collected in your data).

This is strange though... since the "page starts with" portion of your segment should be doing most of the heavy lifting... 

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @andrewz_webmd you might be right, this might be a hash collision  (that page id you are talking about).... Your segment looks like it should work... being hit based and all...

The one thing you could try is checking one piece at a time....

As in, start with just your "page starts with mdedge" and see what is returned... you can also try breaking down the results by prop3 to see what values are recorded.

Then add in the next "Site Name 3 (prop3) <> mdedge" and see what values come back after that....

But IF there is a hash collision, I know that Client Care can force a refresh of the hashes to try and fix the issues.... but who knows if it will hold (based on how many pages you have collected in your data).

This is strange though... since the "page starts with" portion of your segment should be doing most of the heavy lifting... 

Level 3

Leaning more towards a hashing issue at this point....

I created 2 new segments:

site <> fmc-mdedge

andrewz_webmd_3-1672759250605.png

page starts with mdedge

andrewz_webmd_2-1672759239758.png

While the results do show some pages that qualify there are still plenty of pages that do not start with mdedge...

andrewz_webmd_4-1672759320380.png

Community Advisor

Hello Andrew,

I think the segment is not ideal. You should try the below.

(Site Name 3 <> mdedge OR Site Name 3 <> fmc-mdedge) AND page starts with mdedge

Note that Site Names have to be in the container.

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B (Arun) | NextRow DigitalTerryn Winter Analytics

Level 3

Hey Paratheep

I updated the segment as follow:

andrewz_webmd_0-1672758413469.png

This will not solve the issue. Having the "OR" in the container leave its open to undesired results:

andrewz_webmd_1-1672758614382.png

Community Advisor

Yeah Andrewz,

I understood your point. Does not equal always work in a different way for the Visit or Visitor container. However, it should be fine for HIT, just thinking!

Can you use EXCLUDE Segment and see?

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B (Arun) | NextRow DigitalTerryn Winter Analytics