Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

segment visits not matching with the page wise

Level 2

Why overall segment visits data is not matching if we split into page wise visits. 

Thanks,

Aravindasamy R

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hello @AravindasamyR, can you describe how did you built your segment and comparing to page visits?

For example, If your segment contains page A, page B, page C. And you are defined that segment to include

1. 'A or B or C' or

2. 'A and B and C'

In the first scenario, the segment will give the visits data if the any of the 3 pages is accessed in a visit. If you look at the page data separately, you will get the visits equal to the segment visits. But in the second scenario, you will get the visits for the segment, only if all the pages accessed in a single visit. For this, if you look at the pages data separately. you will get the page visits more than the visits that you got with the segment.

So it depends on how did you defined the segment with the pages you want to see. It would be easy to explain why exactly your segment data is not matching with the page data, if you describe how did you built segment and comparing to separate pages data.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 2

@AravindasamyR, would you be able to share examples for both, your segment definition and (I assume) page based report that you compare it with? I will make it easier to answer your question.

Community Advisor

I agree with @DotYourIs, your question doesn't have any details that would allow us to help you. 

Also, a screenshot of your segment is usually better than a brief description, this way we can see the actual scope of the segment / containers in use; odds are the issue lies with the scope (90% of the issues we see here tend to be a scope problem).

Look forward to seeing more details and to helping you out.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hello @AravindasamyR, can you describe how did you built your segment and comparing to page visits?

For example, If your segment contains page A, page B, page C. And you are defined that segment to include

1. 'A or B or C' or

2. 'A and B and C'

In the first scenario, the segment will give the visits data if the any of the 3 pages is accessed in a visit. If you look at the page data separately, you will get the visits equal to the segment visits. But in the second scenario, you will get the visits for the segment, only if all the pages accessed in a single visit. For this, if you look at the pages data separately. you will get the page visits more than the visits that you got with the segment.

So it depends on how did you defined the segment with the pages you want to see. It would be easy to explain why exactly your segment data is not matching with the page data, if you describe how did you built segment and comparing to separate pages data.

Community Advisor

@Krishna_Musku the thing about a vague description as per your examples is that these:

'A or B or C' 

or

'A and B and C'

Don't show us the scope of the Segment, these could be made as a HIT, VISIT or VISITOR scope and each version of the segment would return vastly different data.

While you are absolutely correct that the OR vs AND will also constitute different scenarios, the level of detail in your provided example still wouldn't be enough to properly diagnose the issue, it would only be a start that would require further information to properly investigate.

While is is possible to write out all the logic of a segment, many users don't have the proper practice in doing so, and thus could miss critical details about their problem. 

You know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, so it's usually better to request and image of the actual segment to ensure that all those details are captured.

Community Advisor

Yeah, I agree. I just mentioned the start of the troubleshooting process, definitely we will need more info to investigate. Also, I agree with the picture. If we get the picture of the actual segment that would be more helpful. Attaching image is easy than to describe the segment.

Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

I agree with the others, screenshots and examples will make it easier to answer your question.

If I were to guess though, it sounds like you might be breaking down a segment by a page dimension and comparing the individual rows for the dimension to the row for the segment? If that is the case, the segment row will have deduplication (like the grand total row for the tables do), and adding up individual dimension rows will often give you a sum greater than the total because of that.