Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Rolling Hour of Day

Level 1

I am attempting to make an hourly dashboard in which the hour of today ex 5 PM is compared to the same exact hours yesterday. I've created a few multiple segments such as 24 individual segments with exclusions to create a rolling hourly comparison, however, none of my attempts have worked. Is anyone aware of a way to show a daily comparison of performance at the hourly level which excludes hours that haven't happened in the day vs. Yesterday only shows hours which are equivalent to Today. 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 8

Hi There,

I have managed to solve this for you.

The first thing you need is a "5pm Visit" such as below:

David-123_0-1618407874684.png

Then you need the following:

David-123_1-1618407939509.png

Change Number "7" for the period you want to look back.

So if your report is showing days, it will be 7 days, if it is weeks it will be 7 weeks.

I hope that helps.

Dave

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Level 7

@deion If I am right than you want to compare the data from the previous day on hourly basis. To achieve this you can right click on metric name in Workspace project -> Click on Add Time Period column -> click on Prior date range to this date range. Than use the hour dimension to compare the data on hourly basis with previous date.

Refer the below screenshot :-

amgup_0-1618284518260.png

Level 1

Hi Amgup,

Thank you for the response, so I' m aware of this version. I think I need to explain a bit further, I'm attempting to make this automated with rolling dates which presents the issue, that I can get it to perform as noted when manually building it, however, upon attempting to automate this it all goes down hill haha. 

Employee

Hi @deion, could you please try using the "Hour of Day" metric for automaton and see if that helps!

Correct answer by
Level 8

Hi There,

I have managed to solve this for you.

The first thing you need is a "5pm Visit" such as below:

David-123_0-1618407874684.png

Then you need the following:

David-123_1-1618407939509.png

Change Number "7" for the period you want to look back.

So if your report is showing days, it will be 7 days, if it is weeks it will be 7 weeks.

I hope that helps.

Dave

Level 1
Hi David, thank you for the response and logic. So an additional question. If i need a full 23 hour coverage, would I just need to replicate the 5pm hour setup 22 additional times? Or does this change your process at all?

Level 8
@deion - yes if you want to create this for every hour of the day then you will need to repeat 23 times. Are you going to be using workspace or another tool (API / Datawarehouse)? I only ask because in workspace you will need to have 24 columns (you can't pivot this work with rows) which might make the report a little slow.

Level 8
@deion - sorry I have just reread this. I am afraid this not going to be possible in Adobe. The main reason is because while you can build a custom metric that only counts the hours of yesterday that have passed, it will never be a fair comparision because Adobe will look at the whole hour. So as an example if it is 12:15pm, the previous day will have a 45 minute advantage - skewing your numbers.

Employee
Let me add to what David mentioned about hourly data comparison. Adobe Analytics processes the data in batches, which means you will not be seeing the data updating every minute in hourly Dashboard. Here is a document which explains the same: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/technotes/latency.html?lang=en#understanding-data-...

Level 10
Do any of the answers below answer your initial question? If so, can you select one of them as the correct answer? If none of the answers already provided answer your question, can you provide additional information to better help the community solve your question?