Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Reset MID/ECID and generate a new MID

Community Advisor

Hi Team,

I was following this question :

https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-experience-platform-data/ecid-reset/m-p/63739...
https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-experience-cloud-questions/how-to-delete-rese...

I also need to delete the AMCV cookie (and this remove the mid/ecid) when user denies the consent and generate a new mid when user accepts the consent once again.

Through js code I'm able to delete the AMCV and when user accepts the consent a new mid is generated.
However when user denies and accepts the consent then first mid is triggerred again.

I could not delete the demdex cookie through js since it is a third party cookie. So wanted to check if this is possible to resent mid/ECID and generate a new MID even without deleting the demdex cookie ?
if we manage to delete both demdex + AMCV then only new mid will be generated everytime, however if demdex exists then same mid could be generated even if we delete AMCV ?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @ambikaTewari_ATCI 

I think that is essentially what the fender cookie is for, deriving the same ECID from  the demdex cookie, using your AdobeOrgID. The third party cookie was introduced to solve exactly this issue. If you own domainA.com and domainB.com, the cookie storing the user's ECID on domainA will not be readable on domainB and without the demdex call, sending this 3rd party cookie to Adobe and in return receiving the ECID, you would not be able to reidentify the user (unless you are using the appendVisitorIDsTo functionality to append the IDs to link clicks. This will not work for direct typeins of the domains URL though)

so yeah, it basically does what it was designed to. I have not come across a different way to reset it. Deleting the cookie will obviously also inflate your visitor count 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @ambikaTewari_ATCI 

I think that is essentially what the fender cookie is for, deriving the same ECID from  the demdex cookie, using your AdobeOrgID. The third party cookie was introduced to solve exactly this issue. If you own domainA.com and domainB.com, the cookie storing the user's ECID on domainA will not be readable on domainB and without the demdex call, sending this 3rd party cookie to Adobe and in return receiving the ECID, you would not be able to reidentify the user (unless you are using the appendVisitorIDsTo functionality to append the IDs to link clicks. This will not work for direct typeins of the domains URL though)

so yeah, it basically does what it was designed to. I have not come across a different way to reset it. Deleting the cookie will obviously also inflate your visitor count