Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Report Builder - Auto Refresh in a shared folder?

Level 1

I have a number of workbooks that are to be updated weekly each Monday.

What I'm hoping to achieve is that these workbooks update and save themselves each Monday to save me going into each workbook to kick off the refresh.

Is there a way for me to achieve this? Is FTP the answer here potentially? A concern I have is that these reports feed into Tableau so it's important the name of the file itself does not change.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

FTP is probably going to be your best option. The only caveat there is that you'll want to:

1) Make sure the workbook name is static, so no dates or anything appended to it. This will allow it to have the same name each week.

2) Whenever the next report is expected to arrive, that the existing workbook is removed before then. This could either take place with you logging in to the FTP site and renaming/deleting it, or working with your IT team to have a cron job run that automatically deletes it each week.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

FTP is probably going to be your best option. The only caveat there is that you'll want to:

1) Make sure the workbook name is static, so no dates or anything appended to it. This will allow it to have the same name each week.

2) Whenever the next report is expected to arrive, that the existing workbook is removed before then. This could either take place with you logging in to the FTP site and renaming/deleting it, or working with your IT team to have a cron job run that automatically deletes it each week.

Level 3

hi there,  not sure if this is still relevant but the company I work for (Daexus) has a web data connector that enables scheduled refreshed for Adobe Analytics in Tableau using Tableau Server or Tableau Online.

The tool is ultra secure, only runs on users' computer so data is not passed through any external servers.

I'm happy to provide more info - find the connector link our website here and I'm also posting a tutorial on how to set an automated schedule in Tableau.

Hope this helps!

Cristina