Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Referrer Segment - Hit or Visit?

Level 4

Hi,

I recently read an article [here] explaining that when segmenting Tracking Codes in Adobe Analytics, a Hit container could be used to avoid the report dragging in additional tracking codes used during the same visit. This is due to the s.campaign variable persisting throughout a visit even when set to Hit.

I wanted to know if this is the same for segmenting Referrers / Referring domain. i.e. if I use a Hit container for a specific referring URL, will that allow me to measure that referrer against conversions that happened several page views down the line without dragging in data from any other referrers during the visit?

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Toby,

Yes you can use a hit based container to isolate the page views for a specific referrer(s). You are correct if you use a visit container that will pull in the entire session where at least one part of it matches the referrer criteria at any point in time.

>>>

http://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/reference/reports_referring_domains.html

The referrer, referrer type, and referring domain are set on the first hit of the visit, or during a visit when the referrer is external (for example, if a visitor leaves your site, uses a search engine, then returns to your site before the first visit expires). These values are set at the same time and persist across the visit.

Best,

Brian

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Toby,

Yes you can use a hit based container to isolate the page views for a specific referrer(s). You are correct if you use a visit container that will pull in the entire session where at least one part of it matches the referrer criteria at any point in time.

>>>

http://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/reference/reports_referring_domains.html

The referrer, referrer type, and referring domain are set on the first hit of the visit, or during a visit when the referrer is external (for example, if a visitor leaves your site, uses a search engine, then returns to your site before the first visit expires). These values are set at the same time and persist across the visit.

Best,

Brian

Level 4

Brian Au wrote...

Hi Toby,

Yes you can use a hit based container to isolate the page views for a specific referrer(s). You are correct if you use a visit container that will pull in the entire session where at least one part of it match the referrer criteria at any point in time.

>>>

Best,

Brian

Thanks Brian,

That's really helpful and has cleared things up for me.

Toby

Level 1

That's really helpful and has cleared things up for me.