Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Multiple strings to match Query string parameter in Marketing Processing Rules

Community Advisor

Hi, I am fixing my marketing channel processing rules. Can I use multiple values like below screen shot or do I have to add separate rules for each of the strings to match? 

jsvasu_0-1665531719763.png

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

The "All" and "Any" in that initial drop down reflects the rules/boxes/blocks in the rule set (the ones that you can remove with the x, or add with "Add rule"):

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1665676025610.png

In this case, in order to be identified as "Paid Search" the channel must BOTH match the "paid search detection rules" AND the "cid" must start with "pad" or "med".

If you change it to "ANY" at this point, then it need to match either (or both, its not an exclusive or) "Paid Search Detection" OR "cid starts with one of the listed items"

This list block is always going to be an "OR" list, no matter what is selected in the All/Any dropdown:

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1665676179631.png

I don't know why you are saying this can only be an "ALL" rules... you should see "ANY" in the dropdown, if you have more than 1 rule in your rule set.....

Jennifer_Dungan_2-1665676283143.png

Unless you removed the "matches paid search detection rules" like so:

Jennifer_Dungan_3-1665676359247.png

But still, the ANY/ALL refers to the blocks, not to the list items... the list would be useless in 99% of cases if it was processed as an "AND"... IF you need something to "contain X and Y" then you would make sure you have "ALL" selected, and create 2 rules:

cid contains "X"
cid contains "Y"

Jennifer_Dungan_4-1665676773462.png

cause you need BOTH to be true... and they are not mutually exclusive.

View solution in original post

22 Replies

Community Advisor

That should work.. the rule specifies "Any Of" which means it should look for cid to start with any of the listed options.

Are you getting strange results? Or is this just very new and you are just looking for a second opinion before it runs for a while?

For what it's worth, this looks absolutely correct to me.

Community Advisor

Hey @Jennifer_Dungan  its all new cid codes for social paid that we are going to opt so looking to add it in marketing channels processing rules so that they can be bucketed in correct dimension item of Marketing channels ie. social paid. From that perspective does it looks correct? I am just confused between "All" or "Any" in rule

Because for social organic we use "All" for a list and this is advised 

jsvasu_0-1665544870700.png

Community Advisor

Well since you were asking if you could add multiple items, assuming the starts with values are correct for your campaign codes, the implementation of:

value 1

OR

value 2

OR 

value 3

(in your screenshot)

Looks completely valid... since all of those are being mapped to "Social Networks (Paid)" (assuming that is what you want) looks correct to me... You should not need to do a rule for each item... that seems like creating separate rules is more trouble than it's worth  

Community Advisor

@Jennifer_Dungan yes the start values are correct for my social network (paid). Okay, then I will opt for "Any" condition in Social Network (Paid) processing rule. Thanks

Community Advisor

@Jennifer_Dungan Does this paid processing rule looks good if we have two CIDs for paid search?

jsvasu_0-1665549532622.png

Community Advisor

At this moment, you have selected "All Rules must be true" but have conflicting rules...

Both rules are set to CID "starts with"

Your rule cannot start with both "pad" and "med" simultaneously.

You could either switch your rule from "All" to "Any" being true... or like your paid social media, combine the rules into one... you can list up to 500 values in the rule.

Community Advisor

@Jennifer_Dungan Makes sense to me. But If I try to put different values in a list format in a rule then its by default is "ALL" operator instead "Any" and for one rule it doesn't allow you to choose "Any"...

In my previous response where I shared a screenshot for paid social, you saw a list of values with "Any" operator. It came for me when I clicked ADD New rule and removed it. That way I selected "Any"

So I want to confirm from this ASK is if I put values as list in rule and keep "ALL" then my condition will work or not? 

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

The "All" and "Any" in that initial drop down reflects the rules/boxes/blocks in the rule set (the ones that you can remove with the x, or add with "Add rule"):

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1665676025610.png

In this case, in order to be identified as "Paid Search" the channel must BOTH match the "paid search detection rules" AND the "cid" must start with "pad" or "med".

If you change it to "ANY" at this point, then it need to match either (or both, its not an exclusive or) "Paid Search Detection" OR "cid starts with one of the listed items"

This list block is always going to be an "OR" list, no matter what is selected in the All/Any dropdown:

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1665676179631.png

I don't know why you are saying this can only be an "ALL" rules... you should see "ANY" in the dropdown, if you have more than 1 rule in your rule set.....

Jennifer_Dungan_2-1665676283143.png

Unless you removed the "matches paid search detection rules" like so:

Jennifer_Dungan_3-1665676359247.png

But still, the ANY/ALL refers to the blocks, not to the list items... the list would be useless in 99% of cases if it was processed as an "AND"... IF you need something to "contain X and Y" then you would make sure you have "ALL" selected, and create 2 rules:

cid contains "X"
cid contains "Y"

Jennifer_Dungan_4-1665676773462.png

cause you need BOTH to be true... and they are not mutually exclusive.

Community Advisor

@Jennifer_Dungan THANKS for clarifying on list item that its always going to be an "OR" list, no matter what is selected in the All/Any dropdown. Now, I can use it if i want incase. 

Regarding All/Any selection in paid Search and setting up paid detection rule:

I have set my paid search rule and paid detection rule  now like the below screenshost which I guess looks correct now:

1)

jsvasu_0-1665684516197.png

2)

jsvasu_1-1665684546409.png

Does this make sense to you creating like this way instead of list items?

Community Advisor

Yes, I think that looks good to me... since you moved the pad and med into the actual Paid Search detection, you shouldn't need to re-add it in the processing rules.

Community Advisor

AWSOME @Jennifer_Dungan Thank you so much on clearing so many doubts 

Community Advisor

@Jennifer_Dungan I wanted to check final sequence of my processing rules 

I have aligned my waterfall as per below order.

jsvasu_1-1665722620026.png

In paid search rule I have paid search detection rules configured. And, we are using two cid codes "pad" or "med" in paid search links. Hence the Paid search rule looks like below:

jsvasu_2-1665722649056.png

For my social paid, we use cid codes "pad" or  "med" in social paid links, so following rules as below:

jsvasu_3-1665722706608.png

For Other campaigns that are not captured above I am putting them in bucket of "Other campaigns" as below

jsvasu_4-1665722811381.png

And lastly, for Social Organic traffic to our website, we post links on social networks with cid code = "soc" or "nat" to differentiate them from paid social links, So, I am following the rules as below:

jsvasu_5-1665722855308.png

I wanted to check if order of channel "Other Campaigns is okay or it should come after "social nework (organic)" channel??

And, I wanted to check how the rules looks like with respect to capturing data accurately as per our convention?

Community Advisor

Hi,

I believe that you would want "other" farther down... since the rules process in order you want to make sure your specific rules come first, followed by your more generic rules.

One thing to note, I did notice on your Paid Social Media rule, you specified cid starting with pad and med, but didn't specify known social media networks like your later rule for Organic Social Media.... If you are sure that you will have no other campaigns that will come from other sources that potentially start with pad or med, you might be okay.. but it may be an idea to add that extra specificity. 

But other than that, this looks like you have covered your bases... the last thing as always is to test with live data and make sure there's no oddities....

Community Advisor

@Jennifer_Dungan As we use CIDs for both social paid and social organic buckets. I placed "Other Campaigns" bucket after "Social paid" and "Social Organic" buckets in the below order so that what is not captured above can go into "other campaigns"

jsvasu_0-1665762134443.png

Lastly, I came across the list of Social Network links on this doc page: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/dimensions/referrer-type.html?lang=en

Can I use it exactly and paste it into here below section?

jsvasu_2-1665764631939.png

Community Advisor

Right, but since your "Other Campaigns" rule only looks at "cid" exists... I feel that this would take precedence over your Organic Social Networks, which look for specific cid values.... if ANY cid is processed first, all that traffic will go there..... 

And yes, that looks like a complete list (until something new comes along).... it would be really nice if we could create rules based on our "Referrer Type" buckets...  

But as this is the option available to us.. that is the way to go... likely you will only have traffic from a fraction of those  

Community Advisor

@Jennifer_Dungan As I mentioned in my last response that I have shifted the order of "Other Campaigns" bucket below "Social Organic" and "Social paid" buckets as shown in the below screenshot. I don't think "Other Campaigns" bucket rule that says "cid" exists will take precedence in this case. What are your thoughts?

jsvasu_0-1665771646800.png

Because Now to capture this CID specific data via Paid, Social Paid, Social organic, and Other Campaign Rules I have set up my final configurations like this: 

For paid search rule:

jsvasu_1-1665771715240.png

For social paid rule:

jsvasu_2-1665771730806.png

For Social Organic rule:

jsvasu_3-1665772120627.png

For "Other campaigns", The idea behind this rule is it will capture what is not captured above or any human eroor or broken cids if anyone configure or set can be captured here.

jsvasu_4-1665772159345.png

For Channel Details I am using "Query String parameter" as value of CID because this further can be broken down more briefly by referring domain and more for better analysis. 

What are you final thoughts on this sequence and order of processing rules now with the shown rule set up?

Community Advisor

Sorry, I missed that you changed the order already. This looks good to me... 

Or at least nothing stands out to me... once you start collecting data (if you aren't already), keep an eye on things and make sure your campaigns are being filtered as you expect  

What can look good from here may still miss one or two things that couldn't be anticipated.