Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Monthly Engaged Users equivalent for web

Level 5

We have monthly engaged users for our app as an event. What would be its equivalent for a website?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

So based on the fact you are using Lifecycle DAU or MAU as a reference. You should be able to use Daily/Weekly/Monthly/Yearly Unique Visitors.

See definition of DAU and MAU:

https://aep-sdks.gitbook.io/docs/foundation-extensions/mobile-core/lifecycle/lifecycle-metrics

The challenge again here is engagement is defined in a page being accessed(like in web page loaded).

For a better engagement analysis I would also recommend you look at :

New VS returning visitors
Return frequency 

These to me are better metrics to allow you to gauge user stickiness(relative site re-enagement). 

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Community Advisor

What do you mean you are using an event for engagement? You are firing a custom event? When are you triggering that event and what are you counting as "engagement" (since there are many different types of engagement)?

Community Advisor

I suspect they are referencing the GA metrics like MAU and DAU.

Terms like stickiness engagement are often mentioned with such KPIs.

To Jennifers point which standard MAU or DAU as there are different formulas depending on resource source referenced.

I know in Adobe lifecycle metrics they recently introduced the ability to define  MAU and DAU for native apps(iOS , Android) as custom events.

GLTU

Level 5

Yes Pablo! That’s what we meant. 

tge business what the monthly active users and also a year average. Users tag logged in and engaged at least once. But they want to know that on a monthly basis (how many of our users are active monthly) and also on a year basis.

we do have monthly engaging user lifecycle on our app. Looking on a monthly basis the number makes sense for us but on a year basis, they just sums up the months data and the number is huge! The same users are being counted many times. Also, we are only interest in knowing this engagement after the login is done since we know it’s a registered user already. Many can go in the first screen of the app and never register/sign in. 

and then we have a web version of this app and I’m lost how I can get the engagement there. We are also just interested in knowing the KPI from after the login, not including the landing page. 
What for be the equal for web? Someone can be a unique visitor without engaging. How can I get active users in that case?

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

So based on the fact you are using Lifecycle DAU or MAU as a reference. You should be able to use Daily/Weekly/Monthly/Yearly Unique Visitors.

See definition of DAU and MAU:

https://aep-sdks.gitbook.io/docs/foundation-extensions/mobile-core/lifecycle/lifecycle-metrics

The challenge again here is engagement is defined in a page being accessed(like in web page loaded).

For a better engagement analysis I would also recommend you look at :

New VS returning visitors
Return frequency 

These to me are better metrics to allow you to gauge user stickiness(relative site re-enagement). 

Hope this helps.

Community Advisor

Yes, I don't use any kind of custom event, I use the standard Visits, Unique Visitors, Page Views, etc (and calculated metrics like PV/V, PV/UV, V/UV, etc)

These apply to app and web without any sort of custom tracking needed to be added.

Community Advisor

See my comment below on DAU/MAU definition below. In your case to understand UV Excluding login or a given page..

You need to segment users by excluding those visiting a given page only

You need to define a prop/evar for users to differentiate logged in/ anonymous state

Level 5

and also @Jennifer_Dungan 

in case I use UV, it’s possible to exclude the first time visitors??.. a first time visitor will be unique visitor in the 1st day/week/month it enters the site/app but doesn’t guarantee it will return to the app.

in case of new vs returning user, I might have a huge number of new user a specific month but not all of them returning that same month, some just a few months later for instance so on a monthly basis the number won’t be real.. would work better for the year, no? 

Community Advisor

You can create an exclusion segment for "Visit Number = 1" (this is a first time visitor)

Or you can use your standard return frequency dimensions which by default only include users who have returned to your site.

There are plenty of ways to deal with this if you don't want first time users.

Level 5

For our mobile app we have the monthly engagement users, a lifecycle that had to be created (event+processing rule). 

however, we need the same KPI for web, and I don’t know what would equal to that.

the business main goal is to know our active users on a monthly basis (a user who logged in and engaged at least once in the app or our website). Since Adobe doesn’t have active users, they are considering the monthly engagement for that!

Community Advisor

Technically your UVs metric is essentially an "active user" - but if you are using something custom in the apps then the way this is calculated would be different and may not be a fair comparison....