Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Mobil app crashes: Stack trace

Level 2

Hello everyone.

We monitor crashes on a mobile app using Adobe Analytics. The dev team has asked if they can see the stack trace for the crashes, to help them with debugging.

As far as I know, Analytics does not automatically collect stack traces on app crash through the lifecycle code.

Has anyone solved a similar requirement, and how did you solve it? My only suggestion right now is to somehow insert a trackAction in the app code to trigger when the crash happens, and send the stack trace as a non-linebreak string using context data. But I'm concerned about the character limit for eVars.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear danielwalo,

First list down the details you need to track with Stack Trace. Stack Trace should contains bundle of information and thus planning what to get is important.

Hope you know how Crash is tracking in Adobe Analytics. When crash beacon is sent by LifeCycle trigger, append the traces through dimensions or set events based on the traces to track along with crashes. We can add dimensions and events to the LifeCycle triggers and thus I don't think we need to add seperate trackAction trigger.

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B | Xerago | Terryn Winter Analytics 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Employee Advisor

@danielwalo Adobe analytics reports crashes already in a out of box metric for a mobile app.

App crashes are tracked as part of lifecycle metrics. Before you can track crashes, add the library to your project and implement lifecycle

You can read more about here for Andriod and iOS

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/mobile-services/android/analytics-android/crashes.html?lang=...

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/mobile-services/ios/analytics-ios/crashes.html?lang=en

Hope this helps

Level 2

We do use the crash metric from lifecycle, but I don't see any built-in support for logging stack traces.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear danielwalo,

First list down the details you need to track with Stack Trace. Stack Trace should contains bundle of information and thus planning what to get is important.

Hope you know how Crash is tracking in Adobe Analytics. When crash beacon is sent by LifeCycle trigger, append the traces through dimensions or set events based on the traces to track along with crashes. We can add dimensions and events to the LifeCycle triggers and thus I don't think we need to add seperate trackAction trigger.

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B | Xerago | Terryn Winter Analytics